Dialogs, opacity, and IE6 security

  • russncraig
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2006
      I am having an issue in IE6 as of last Friday (Dec 1), though we've
      made no changes to our scripts or stylesheets. Suddenly, it seems
      that wherever we or the YUI attempt to set opacity, IE6 refuses to
      implement that attribute. For instance, the translucent mask used
      with the YUI dialog is now completely opaque in IE6 for us. This is
      true also for the iframe shim opacity that is set within the YUI code
      itself.

      We believe that a recent IE update may have changed something that, in
      combination with the IE settings in our own enterprise, is disabling
      the opacity filter or DirectX in some fashion.

      Is anyone else having this issue?
    • Steven Peterson
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2006

        Can you verify that the opacity isn’t working in the examples as well as your own code? Try this example: http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/container/panelphotobox/solution.html and see if the opacity mask works there. Also verify if the fade-in animation (which also uses opacity extensively) is functioning properly. This will help you determine if the problem is on your end in the client.

        Steven Peterson

        Web Developer, Platform Engineering

        Yahoo!

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2006
          That is curious. Your example works properly in IE for me.

          My code also works fine on my desktop, but not from the server, which
          is one reason i suspected a security issue. (Our enterprise has IE
          strapped down pretty tight.) We've made no changes to the code on
          some of the affected sites, where the dialog used to work fine until
          friday. And opacity seems to be the only affected attribute.

          I changed my doctype to match the one used in your example, but that
          doesn't seem to make a difference. Perhaps it has something to do
          with our server configuration. <sigh>

          I don't see any modal dialogs in the functional examples provided with
          the library. Am i missing one? (Would help me test a control case in
          multiple environments.)

          russ

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 7, 2006
            I had a chance to do a bit more testing. Your sample turns completely
            opaque when served from my server, though it is perfectly
            transcluscent the yahoo server. I even created a file with no scripts
            that uses the opacity filter, and same results.

            I believe the problem lies in the interaction of our Web server
            configuration and a recent update to IE -- we weren't having any
            trouble until we received the update last Friday.

            In any case, it's not a YUI issue. Nevertheless, i'll post the result
            here, assuming we're able to track it down. Haven't found anything
            else online about this issue, but i can't imagine we're the only ones
            having the problem.

            russ

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 29, 2006
              Still haven't been able to precisely locate the source of this
              problem, but i think it is specific to our internal environment. For
              the benefit of any others who run into similar problems with opacity
              in IE, i'll post these final notes.

              I believe the issue was in the interaction of a recent IE6 security
              update, our enterprise security settings (which are quite tight), and
              the configuration of our Web servers. I believe that an even more
              recent IE6/Windows XP update -- perhaps released 12/18/2006 or earlier
              -- resolved the problem. It may also have been resolved by some
              fiddling done with our IE security settings for intranet "trusted"
              sites. There may be some relationship to DirectX (used to implement
              opacity in IE).

              I also believe that this issue was related to a pernicious security
              warning we received with some implementations of Overlay, even with
              the most recent version of the library. When we began having trouble
              with opacity, we also began getting the "there are secure and insecure
              items on this page" warning when hiding and destroying a customized
              Overlay (containing Calendar and Menu objects) we are using. When the
              opacity issue disappeared, it appears the security warning did as well.

              I hope this is unique to us, 'cause it's been a real pain.

              russ