Example documentation problem?

  • mgkimsal2
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
      On this page:

      http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/calendar/quickstart/1.html

      We have the following lines:

      <script type="text/javascript" src="yui/build/yahoo/yahoo.html"></script>
      <script type="text/javascript" src="yui/event/event.html" ></script>
      <script type="text/javascript" src="yui/dom/dom.html" ></script>
      <script type="text/javascript"
      src="yui/build/calendar/calendar.html"></script>
      <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"
      href="yui/build/calendar/assets/calendar.html">

      I'm getting questions from colleagues about this. A group of us have
      made a recommendation to use the YUI library as our primary javascript
      platform, but I'm getting questions from other team members about doc
      issues like the one above. Are '.html' files really loaded/treated
      like 'text/css' files? And related to my question yesterday, why do
      the examples not follow the directory structure which is distributed
      by Yahoo!? (Do you normally put the ! on Yahoo! when asking a question?)

      I don't want this to come across as complaining, but rather a 'real
      world' view of someone trying to get this adopted across a team of
      developers, not all of whom are deep javascript experts.

      Any light anyone can shed on this will help. Thanks!
    • Steven Peterson
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006

        This is a documentation error that we’ve noted and that will be corrected. The actual includes should be .js files, and if you view the source of the actual functional examples, the references should be correct. If you look at the example files distributed with the zip, you will notice that the functional examples do in fact point to the directory structure that is included in the YUI distribution. The examples on the actual tutorial pages are modified to avoid using relative paths so that you can place the includes wherever you would like. The assumption is that your final implementation will probably require some path modification since you won’t be deploying your site in the YUI examples directory.

        Steven Peterson

        Web Developer, Platform Engineering

        Yahoo!

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
          <y_stevenp@...> wrote:
          Thanks for the response. Something that I think would help is some
          page someplace that outlines what steps you'll need to take to make
          the setup 'work' for you (move all *min.js files to a /js directory,
          or whatever).