Re: [ydn-javascript] Invoking a location.href redirect from a connection call

  • Eric Miraglia
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2006
      Brandon,

      Sorry if you already got a reply on this.  One approach is to pass back information in your response that indicates whether the login was successful; you could do that in XML, JSON, or just as a string.  In your Connection Manager success callback (click here for more on the callback object), you could then evaluate the data that came back and, if the login was successful, do the redirect right there.

      Just using a plain "success" string as the data passed, you could do something like this:

      <script>
      YAHOO.util.Event.on("clickme","click",function(e) {

      var success = function(o) {
      if(o.responseText == "success") {location.href="http://www.yahoo.com";}
      }

      var callback = {"success": success};
      var oCon = YAHOO.util.Connect.asyncRequest('GET','checklogin.html',callback);

      });
      </script>
      </head>

      NOTE: This implies that there's a file "checklogin.html" that would return nothing more than the string "success" upon a successful login.

      Regards,
      Eric

      Eric Miraglia
      Yahoo! Presentation Platform Engineering

      On Dec 2, 2006, at 7:38 PM, Brandon wrote:

      I think I might just be missing something simple here.

      I have a simple login dialog box, and my server-side page returns a
      "Success" or "Error" message (responseText) back into the dialog box.

      What I'd like to do is on a valid login, have it automatically change
      to a different page.

      I've tried:

      - including a <script>window.location.href='page2.html'</script> as
      responseText
      - creating a function on the main page that is invoked from the
      responseText

      using both window.location.href, top.location.href to no avail. (I get
      a "Permission denied to call method Location.toString" which I assume
      is the way the XMLHttpRequest is returned (i.e., no running scripts
      back through XMLHttpRequest).

      Any ideas?