Re: Hyperlinks and dynamic pages inside Tabview contents

  • exguardianreader
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
      Well, you want to defeat HTML links in the browser; you'll have to do
      a little work!

      It's not hard at all. Create a YAHOO.ext.Element from the element into
      which you are loading content.

      Use getElementsByTagname on the element. You get back an array of <a>
      elements. Loop through the array adding a click handling function (it
      can be the same function) as a listener to each one.

      In the handling function, call update() on the Element.

      Docs: http://www.yui-ext.com/deploy/yui-ext/docs/

      Download the YAHOO.ext library from http://www.jackslocum.com/blog/

      It's a piece of cake!
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "otrorichard"
      <richardworking@...> wrote:

      > Sorry my delayed answer (my job), but I think is very hard catch every
      > event and filtering its tags. Is there a simpler way?
      >

      > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Nige White <nigelw@> wrote:
      > >
      > > You'll have to search for them all
      (document.getElementsByTagName("a"))
      > > and use YAHOO.util.Event to give them onclick listeners which stop
      the
      > > event, and load the url into the tab using YAHOO.util.Connect.
      > >
      > > otrorichard wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi everyone,
      > > >
      > > > Two questions:
      > > >
      > > > The simplest, How make a hyperlink inside tabview content and
      the new
      > > > page keeps inside the tab and no outside, like a new page?
      > > >
      > > > All the hyperlinks in the tabview examples point to "#".
      > > >
      > > > The second one.
      > > > I need to put inside a tabview content a php-based search page,I can
      > > > get the first page, but the paging is impossible.
      > > > Note: Outside the tabview my search pages work fine.
      > > >
      > > > thanks in advanced.
      > > >
      > > > Richard

      > > > This message has been checked for all known viruses. Virus scanning
      > > > powered by Messagelabs http://www.messagelabs.com For more
      information
      > > > e-mail : hostmaster@

      > > This message has been checked for all known viruses. Virus scanning
      > > powered by Messagelabs http://www.messagelabs.com For more information
      > > e-mail : hostmaster@

    • exguardianreader
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
        Of course that will only work on links to the same domain. If you want
        to handle links to anywhere, you'll have to use an iframe, and then
        you won't need to do any link defeating. (Well, you just might want to
        check the "target" attribute)
      • Matt Sweeney
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006
          Another approach would be to listen for clicks on the containing element, and if the target element meets certain critera (its an anchor, has an href, etc.), handle as needed.

          This can be accomplished with a single listener, and then you can avoid managing listeners on your dynamic content.

          Matt

          otrorichard wrote:

          Hi everyone,

          Two questions:

          The simplest, How make a hyperlink inside tabview content and the new
          page keeps inside the tab and no outside, like a new page?

          All the hyperlinks in the tabview examples point to "#".

          The second one.
          I need to put inside a tabview content a php-based search page,I can
          get the first page, but the paging is impossible.
          Note: Outside the tabview my search pages work fine.

          thanks in advanced.

          Richard

          e-mail : hostmaster@...

          e-mail : hostmaster@...

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:ydn-javascript-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:ydn-javascript-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Eric Miraglia
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006
            Richard,

            Matt's suggestion is a good one.  Note that there are a few good resources for you if that approach — Event Delegation — is a new one to you:

            Regards,
            Eric

            Eric Miraglia
            Yahoo! Presentation Platform Engineering

            otrorichard wrote:

[...]

          • jcyrnh
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 13, 2006
              This seems like a good approach, and I am about half way there. i can
              see events triggering and get the src of the link to travel to, etc.
              However I have two stumbling blocks.

              1) How do I tell the active tab to load the new source. I imagine it
              is something like tabView.getTab(0).set('dataSrc',elTarget); but it
              doesn't recognize tabView. Further I am unclear how to determinine
              the index of the tab during the event.

              2) How do I tell it not to trigger on clicking on the tab labels? If
              I was coding the tabs in html that would be easy, but they are
              dynamically made so I don't have an ID for just the content divs, only
              the div that holds everything including the labels.

              YAHOO.example.init = function() {
              var tabView = new YAHOO.widget.TabView({id: 'savvyUserTabs'});

              <cfset counter = 1>
              <cfloop collection="#tabsystem#" item="Temp">
              <cfoutput>
              tabView.addTab(new YAHOO.widget.Tab({
              label: '#tabsystem[temp].label#',
              dataSrc: '#tabsystem[temp].src#&page_ID=#page_ID#',
              active: <cfif tabsystem[temp].label eq activetab OR activetab
              eq temp>true<cfelse>false</cfif>,
              cacheData: #tabsystem[temp].cache# /* only load once */
              }));
              </cfoutput>
              <cfset counter = counter + 1>
              </cfloop>

              YAHOO.util.Event.onContentReady('savvyUserTabsContainer', function() {
              tabView.appendTo('savvyUserTabsContainer');
              });

              };

              function clickHandler(e) {
              //get the resolved (non-text node) target:
              var elTarget = YAHOO.util.Event.getTarget(e);
              //walk up the DOM tree looking for an <li>
              //in the target's ancestry; desist when you
              //reach the container div
              while (elTarget.id != "savvyUserTabsContainer") {
              //are you an A?
              if(elTarget.nodeName.toUpperCase() == "A") {
              //yes, an A: so write out a message to the log
              tabView.getTab(0).set('dataSrc',elTarget);
              //and then stop looking:
              break;
              } else {
              //wasn't the container, but wasn't an li; so
              //let's step up the DOM and keep looking:
              elTarget = elTarget.parentNode;
              //attach clickHandler as a listener for any click on
              //the container div:
              YAHOO.util.Event.on("savvyUserTabsContainer", "click", clickHandler);

              YAHOO.example.init();

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 13, 2006
                1) How do I tell the active tab to load the new source.  I imagine it
                is something like  tabView.getTab(0).set('dataSrc',elTarget); but it
                doesn't recognize tabView.  Further I am unclear how to determinine
                the index of the tab during the event.

                You can pass the tabView instance as the 4th arg to your Event listener.  See: <http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.util.Event.html#addListener> for more details on Event listeners.

                From what I understand, these clicks will always occur in the "activeTab", so you can just do:
                tabView.get('activeTab').set('dataSrc',elTarget);
                2) How do I tell it not to trigger on clicking on the tab labels?  If
                I was coding the tabs in html that would be easy, but they are
                dynamically made so I don't have an ID for just the content divs, only
                the div that holds everything including the labels.

                The simplest approach would be to assign the listener to the content container rather than the entire tabview.

                You can avoid adding an ID to the content container by using getElementsByClassName:
                YAHOO.util.Event.on(tabView.getElementsByClassName('yui-content', 'div')[0], 'click', clickHandler);
                But keep in mind the content needs to be ready in that case.

                Matt

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 14, 2006
                  That was what I was looking for. Ok, I have now confirmed that
                  tabView.get('activeTab').set('dataSrc',elTarget);

                  is setting the dataSrc correctly. However I mistakenly thought that
                  would cause the tab to reload with that new dataSrc. Which it does
                  not. Either that or I have gone down the wrong path. Should I be
                  doing a listener for contentChange instead?

                  Basically I want the link to trigger the new page to open into the tab
                  and not the whole window.