Re: Hyperlinks and dynamic pages inside Tabview contents

  • otrorichard
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
      Sorry my delayed answer (my job), but I think is very hard catch every
      event and filtering its tags. Is there a simpler way?

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Nige White <nigelw@...> wrote:

      > You'll have to search for them all (document.getElementsByTagName("a"))
      > and use YAHOO.util.Event to give them onclick listeners which stop the
      > event, and load the url into the tab using YAHOO.util.Connect.
      >
      > otrorichard wrote:
      >
      > > Hi everyone,
      > >
      > > Two questions:
      > >
      > > The simplest, How make a hyperlink inside tabview content and the new
      > > page keeps inside the tab and no outside, like a new page?
      > >
      > > All the hyperlinks in the tabview examples point to "#".
      > >
      > > The second one.
      > > I need to put inside a tabview content a php-based search page,I can
      > > get the first page, but the paging is impossible.
      > > Note: Outside the tabview my search pages work fine.
      > >
      > > thanks in advanced.
      > >
      > > Richard

      > > This message has been checked for all known viruses. Virus scanning
      > > powered by Messagelabs http://www.messagelabs.com For more information
      > > e-mail : hostmaster@...

      > This message has been checked for all known viruses. Virus scanning
      > powered by Messagelabs http://www.messagelabs.com For more information
      > e-mail : hostmaster@...

    • exguardianreader
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
        Well, you want to defeat HTML links in the browser; you'll have to do
        a little work!

        It's not hard at all. Create a YAHOO.ext.Element from the element into
        which you are loading content.

        Use getElementsByTagname on the element. You get back an array of <a>
        elements. Loop through the array adding a click handling function (it
        can be the same function) as a listener to each one.

        In the handling function, call update() on the Element.

        Docs: http://www.yui-ext.com/deploy/yui-ext/docs/

        Download the YAHOO.ext library from http://www.jackslocum.com/blog/

        It's a piece of cake!
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "otrorichard"
        <richardworking@...> wrote:

        > Sorry my delayed answer (my job), but I think is very hard catch every
        > event and filtering its tags. Is there a simpler way?
        >

        > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Nige White <nigelw@> wrote:
        > >
        > > You'll have to search for them all
        (document.getElementsByTagName("a"))
        > > and use YAHOO.util.Event to give them onclick listeners which stop
        the
        > > event, and load the url into the tab using YAHOO.util.Connect.
        > >
        > > otrorichard wrote:
        > >
        > > > Hi everyone,
        > > >
        > > > Two questions:
        > > >
        > > > The simplest, How make a hyperlink inside tabview content and
        the new
        > > > page keeps inside the tab and no outside, like a new page?
        > > >
        > > > All the hyperlinks in the tabview examples point to "#".
        > > >
        > > > The second one.
        > > > I need to put inside a tabview content a php-based search page,I can
        > > > get the first page, but the paging is impossible.
        > > > Note: Outside the tabview my search pages work fine.
        > > >
        > > > thanks in advanced.
        > > >
        > > > Richard

        > > > This message has been checked for all known viruses. Virus scanning
        > > > powered by Messagelabs http://www.messagelabs.com For more
        information
        > > > e-mail : hostmaster@

        > > This message has been checked for all known viruses. Virus scanning
        > > powered by Messagelabs http://www.messagelabs.com For more information
        > > e-mail : hostmaster@

      • exguardianreader
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
          Of course that will only work on links to the same domain. If you want
          to handle links to anywhere, you'll have to use an iframe, and then
          you won't need to do any link defeating. (Well, you just might want to
          check the "target" attribute)
        • Matt Sweeney
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006
            Another approach would be to listen for clicks on the containing element, and if the target element meets certain critera (its an anchor, has an href, etc.), handle as needed.

            This can be accomplished with a single listener, and then you can avoid managing listeners on your dynamic content.

            Matt

            otrorichard wrote:

            Hi everyone,

            Two questions:

            The simplest, How make a hyperlink inside tabview content and the new
            page keeps inside the tab and no outside, like a new page?

            All the hyperlinks in the tabview examples point to "#".

            The second one.
            I need to put inside a tabview content a php-based search page,I can
            get the first page, but the paging is impossible.
            Note: Outside the tabview my search pages work fine.

            thanks in advanced.

            Richard

            e-mail : hostmaster@...

            e-mail : hostmaster@...

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:ydn-javascript-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:ydn-javascript-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Eric Miraglia
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006
              Richard,

              Matt's suggestion is a good one.  Note that there are a few good resources for you if that approach — Event Delegation — is a new one to you:

              Regards,
              Eric

              Eric Miraglia
              Yahoo! Presentation Platform Engineering

              otrorichard wrote:

[...]

            • jcyrnh
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 13, 2006
                This seems like a good approach, and I am about half way there. i can
                see events triggering and get the src of the link to travel to, etc.
                However I have two stumbling blocks.

                1) How do I tell the active tab to load the new source. I imagine it
                is something like tabView.getTab(0).set('dataSrc',elTarget); but it
                doesn't recognize tabView. Further I am unclear how to determinine
                the index of the tab during the event.

                2) How do I tell it not to trigger on clicking on the tab labels? If
                I was coding the tabs in html that would be easy, but they are
                dynamically made so I don't have an ID for just the content divs, only
                the div that holds everything including the labels.

                YAHOO.example.init = function() {
                var tabView = new YAHOO.widget.TabView({id: 'savvyUserTabs'});

                <cfset counter = 1>
                <cfloop collection="#tabsystem#" item="Temp">
                <cfoutput>
                tabView.addTab(new YAHOO.widget.Tab({
                label: '#tabsystem[temp].label#',
                dataSrc: '#tabsystem[temp].src#&page_ID=#page_ID#',
                active: <cfif tabsystem[temp].label eq activetab OR activetab
                eq temp>true<cfelse>false</cfif>,
                cacheData: #tabsystem[temp].cache# /* only load once */
                }));
                </cfoutput>
                <cfset counter = counter + 1>
                </cfloop>

                YAHOO.util.Event.onContentReady('savvyUserTabsContainer', function() {
                tabView.appendTo('savvyUserTabsContainer');
                });

                };

                function clickHandler(e) {
                //get the resolved (non-text node) target:
                var elTarget = YAHOO.util.Event.getTarget(e);
                //walk up the DOM tree looking for an <li>
                //in the target's ancestry; desist when you
                //reach the container div
                while (elTarget.id != "savvyUserTabsContainer") {
                //are you an A?
                if(elTarget.nodeName.toUpperCase() == "A") {
                //yes, an A: so write out a message to the log
                tabView.getTab(0).set('dataSrc',elTarget);
                //and then stop looking:
                break;
                } else {
                //wasn't the container, but wasn't an li; so
                //let's step up the DOM and keep looking:
                elTarget = elTarget.parentNode;
                //attach clickHandler as a listener for any click on
                //the container div:
                YAHOO.util.Event.on("savvyUserTabsContainer", "click", clickHandler);

                YAHOO.example.init();

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 13, 2006
                  1) How do I tell the active tab to load the new source.  I imagine it
                  is something like  tabView.getTab(0).set('dataSrc',elTarget); but it
                  doesn't recognize tabView.  Further I am unclear how to determinine
                  the index of the tab during the event.

                  You can pass the tabView instance as the 4th arg to your Event listener.  See: <http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.util.Event.html#addListener> for more details on Event listeners.

                  From what I understand, these clicks will always occur in the "activeTab", so you can just do:
                  tabView.get('activeTab').set('dataSrc',elTarget);
                  2) How do I tell it not to trigger on clicking on the tab labels?  If
                  I was coding the tabs in html that would be easy, but they are
                  dynamically made so I don't have an ID for just the content divs, only
                  the div that holds everything including the labels.

                  The simplest approach would be to assign the listener to the content container rather than the entire tabview.

                  You can avoid adding an ID to the content container by using getElementsByClassName:
                  YAHOO.util.Event.on(tabView.getElementsByClassName('yui-content', 'div')[0], 'click', clickHandler);
                  But keep in mind the content needs to be ready in that case.

                  Matt

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 14, 2006
                    That was what I was looking for. Ok, I have now confirmed that
                    tabView.get('activeTab').set('dataSrc',elTarget);

                    is setting the dataSrc correctly. However I mistakenly thought that
                    would cause the tab to reload with that new dataSrc. Which it does
                    not. Either that or I have gone down the wrong path. Should I be
                    doing a listener for contentChange instead?

                    Basically I want the link to trigger the new page to open into the tab
                    and not the whole window.