Re: [ydn-javascript] YUI menu event callback not executed in firefox

  • Todd Kloots
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2006
      Dawn -

      I cannot consistently repro this bug when I run your
      examples locally. The problem seems like it could be
      due to the call to "stopPropagation" on line 21 of
      MapTypeMenuControl.js though:

      YAHOO.util.Event.stopPropagation(p_aArguments[0]);

      Do you need this?

      - Todd

      --- Dawn Endico <endico@...> wrote:

      > I'm developing a menu control for my google map
      > using YUI menus. The code
      > worked great until I moved the code inside a
      > constructor and now clicking on
      > menu items in firefox doesn't work, although it does
      > in safari. Firebug's
      > event inspector doesn't show any click events when I
      > click on a menu item so
      > the menu's custom event seems to be getting fired
      > but for some reason its
      > not executing my callback.
      >
      > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach
      > debugging this? The fact
      > that it works in Safari but not Firefox should be a
      > clue. It seems like is
      > some kind of scope issue since it started after I
      > wrapped the code in a
      > closure.
      >
      > The current app is here
      > http://maps.tafoni.net/MapTypeMenuControl/
      >
      > A version that works is here
      > http://maps.tafoni.net/MapTypeMenuControl/demo/
      >
      > Another broken version, which is closer to the
      > working code
      > http://maps.tafoni.net/MapTypeMenuControl/demo2/
      >
      > --
      > http://www.tafoni.net/

    • Dawn Endico
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
        Thanks for looking at it. Removing the stopPropagation call from demo3
        didn't help. I'm using both Firefox 1.5 and 2 on two different
        machines and its broken both places.

        I finally got the app working by listening to mouseUp events instead
        of clicks so there's not much point in looking at this version any
        more. I'd still like to debug the click problem though if possible.
        What do you do to debug something like this? The event inspector
        wasn't very helpful since no click events are showing up when i click
        on the menu. Printing log entries hasn't been much help either. I'd
        like to tell the debugger to break on a click event but I don't think
        that's possible unless I already know which code would get executed
        next.
        http://maps.tafoni.net/MapTypeMenuControl/

        This new version has the menu control loaded outside the map (way over
        in the upper right of the page) to make sure there are no map
        listeners intercepting the clicks. Its also loaded with
        window.console.log statements which make it look like events.js is
        never seeing any click events.
        http://maps.tafoni.net/MapTypeMenuControl/demo3-disappearingclicks/

        The original two versions where it broke are still here

        http://maps.tafoni.net/MapTypeMenuControl/demo/ (works)
        http://maps.tafoni.net/MapTypeMenuControl/demo2/ (broken)

        --
        http://www.tafoni.net/
      • Dawn Endico
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2006
          I've discovered that the difference between a working and broken menu
          is in the way I create the menu object. If I do it by hand, the menu
          works, but when the map's addControl function does it then the menu
          breaks.

          Here's another couple of tests with more debugging code.

          http://maps.tafoni.net/MapTypeMenuControl/test/
        • Todd Kloots
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2006
            MapTypeMenuControl