Re: Poser

  • johnnysidmouth
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
      Nige

      One of the reasons I use an iframe is that the contents of the
      scrolling display will change depending upon the user, the search
      criteria they enter and so on. Whilst the rest of the page is always
      the same. Not just the data in the scrolling table but the number of
      columns, the data item in each column, the column headings, the
      format of each item (different date formats for example) depending
      upon the user.

      Building the page to be displayed dynamically via a call to a program
      and displaying it within an Iframe seemed a good way of handling this
      and indeed it works well. However, I'll look at what you propose as
      that may be much better

      Thanks again

      Johnny

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Nige White <nigelw@...> wrote:

      > johnnysidmouth wrote:
      >
      > > Hi all
      > >
      > > I am quite new to the world of HTML/Javascript having come from an
      > > iSeries/AS400/RPG background. So apologies in advance if my
      > > terminology is poor or the problem is easily fixed. Here goes:-)
      > >
      > > We are close to going live with our first inhouse website
      development
      > > but we have a problem that i hope that you can help with.
      > >
      > > We display a scrolling list of records within the main page using
      the
      > > HTML IFRAME tag. On each each record in this list it's possible to
      > > hit a button to see more about the item in the list.
      > >
      > > However, if on hitting the button the user's session has timed out
      > > (more than 30 minutes since they last hit a button/link) a screen
      is
      > > displayed prompting them to sign in again. We do not
      use 'sessions'
      > > as such...we log on our main server when a user last hit a
      > > button/link and if that last time was more then 30 minutes ago
      then
      > > the log entry is removed. When the user next hits a button/link we
      > > want to display the sign on screen again.
      > >
      > > Problem is that the browser displays this sign on screen within
      the
      > > scrollable "iframe window" instead of as a full screen; we want it
      > > to 'overwrite' the full screen with the sign on screen and then
      > > proceed as if the user had just signed on for the first time.
      > >

      > > I don't know of a way of making it display the sign on screen as a
      > > full screen which is what I'd rather do although I could display a
      > > sign on screen within the iframe which I don't want to do or open
      up
      > > a new window which again I do not want to do
      >
      > Well this is nothing whatsoever to do with javascript, and
      everything to
      > do with how you are using the browser.
      >
      > A frame or an iframe is a seperate window into a seperate URL from
      the
      > main browser window. Links followed in the frame/iframe appear in
      that
      > frame/iframe.
      >
      > The answer is not to use iframes. Why are you using them? Why not
      just
      > use a scrolling table inside a fixed size div?
      >
      > Nige

      > This message has been checked for all known viruses. Virus scanning
      > powered by Messagelabs http://www.messagelabs.com For more
      information
      > e-mail : hostmaster@...

    • sirshannon
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2006
        I think what you want to do is to put a javascript function in your
        "session timed out, please sign in again" page that is called when the
        page has loaded.

        Let's call the function "bustFrames".

        Inside a script block, add a function called bustFrames() with this code:
        <script type="text/javascript">
        function bustFrames() {
        if (top.location.href != location.href) {
        top.location.href=location.href;
        </script>

        That will check to see if the outermost window's address is the
        address of the page. Because the "session timed out" page is in an
        iframe, the script will see that the url of the outermost page (the
        one the user sees in the browser's address bar) is not equal to the
        "session timed out" page's url and will 'correct' that situation.

        To call this when the page has finished loading, in the body tag of
        your "session timed out" page, add
        onload="bustFrames();"

        You can do this many other ways, but this way will work and uses
        Javascript (and thus stays somewhat on topic).

        Let me know if anyone has a better way or if this does/does not work
        for you.

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "johnnysidmouth"
        <JOHNNYAITCH@...> wrote:

        > Hi all
        >
        > I am quite new to the world of HTML/Javascript having come from an
        > iSeries/AS400/RPG background. So apologies in advance if my
        > terminology is poor or the problem is easily fixed. Here goes:-)
        >
        > We are close to going live with our first inhouse website development
        > but we have a problem that i hope that you can help with.
        >
        > We display a scrolling list of records within the main page using the
        > HTML IFRAME tag. On each each record in this list it's possible to
        > hit a button to see more about the item in the list.
        >
        > However, if on hitting the button the user's session has timed out
        > (more than 30 minutes since they last hit a button/link) a screen is
        > displayed prompting them to sign in again. We do not use 'sessions'
        > as such...we log on our main server when a user last hit a
        > button/link and if that last time was more then 30 minutes ago then
        > the log entry is removed. When the user next hits a button/link we
        > want to display the sign on screen again.
        >
        > Problem is that the browser displays this sign on screen within the
        > scrollable "iframe window" instead of as a full screen; we want it
        > to 'overwrite' the full screen with the sign on screen and then
        > proceed as if the user had just signed on for the first time.
        >

        > I don't know of a way of making it display the sign on screen as a
        > full screen which is what I'd rather do although I could display a
        > sign on screen within the iframe which I don't want to do or open up
        > a new window which again I do not want to do
        >
        > If they hit a button elsewhere outside of the Iframe and they have
        > timed out then it all works just fine
        >

        > Any suggestions or comments?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > John

      • johnnysidmouth
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
          Many thanks for the response

          In the end I have done away with the iFrame and gone for a scrollable
          table using a Div instead.

          Thanks again

          Johnny

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "sirshannon" <sirshannon@...>