Re: aSyncRequest...is there a limit on the length of uri when using GET method?

  • Thomas S. Sha
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2006
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "carltondickson"
      <carltondickson@...> wrote:
      <sniP
      > I outputted the method which is 'GET' and my uri which is just under
      > 3300 characters long and is URL encoded.
      >
      > I also get an error "The system cannot locate the resource specified"
      > on this line too in certain situations...
      > o.conn.send(postData?postData:null);

      This error may also be related to the malformed GET request. Perhaps
      you might considering using POST to avoid the querystring limit?

      Regards,
      Thomas
    • carltondickson
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
        Thanks Thomas, Sergio and Moore.
        I tried using the postData method and it seems to work fine, just need
        to test to be sure...so thanks again!

        I don't know if this point is worthy of a mention in the
        documentation, possibly explain to the user why you would use GET and
        why POST.

        Is POST slightly more secure (in the sense the hacker would have to do
        a lot more than simply submit a URL with variables and values) and
        doesn't have a size limitation?

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas S. Sha" <tsha@...> wrote:

        > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "carltondickson"
        > <carltondickson@> wrote:
        > <sniP
        > > I outputted the method which is 'GET' and my uri which is just under
        > > 3300 characters long and is URL encoded.
        > >
        > > I also get an error "The system cannot locate the resource specified"
        > > on this line too in certain situations...
        > > o.conn.send(postData?postData:null);
        >
        > This error may also be related to the malformed GET request. Perhaps
        > you might considering using POST to avoid the querystring limit?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Thomas

      • bitrockers
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 30, 2006

          > Is POST slightly more secure (in the sense the hacker would have to
          > do a lot more than simply submit a URL with variables and values)
          > and doesn't have a size limitation?

          I guess the difference between POST and GET wouldn't stop a 'hacker'
          by any means. I always use POST because I remember that IE caches
          AJAX-GET-Requests. Maybe you can prevent this by sending some special
          extra headers, but you can avoid caching using the post method.

          Greetings
          Christian