Re: [ydn-javascript] aSyncRequest...is there a limit on the length of uri when using GET method?

  • sergio.cinos@info3.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2006
      Estimado carltondickson,

      Con fecha jueves, 30 de noviembre de 2006, 17:44:56, escribió:

      c> I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that there is a limit on a GET
      c> request which I think is making my async request fail.

      Yes, there is a limit. In RFC 2616, there is no maximum URL length
      specified. But IE have a limit of 2048 characters
      (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q208427/). FF just displays 65,535
      characters, but you can use more characters and it still works.

      More info here:
      http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/misc/urllength.html

      --
      Sergio Cinos
      Info3 Servicios Informáticos S.L.
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2006
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "carltondickson"
        <carltondickson@...> wrote:
        <sniP
        > I outputted the method which is 'GET' and my uri which is just under
        > 3300 characters long and is URL encoded.
        >
        > I also get an error "The system cannot locate the resource specified"
        > on this line too in certain situations...
        > o.conn.send(postData?postData:null);

        This error may also be related to the malformed GET request. Perhaps
        you might considering using POST to avoid the querystring limit?

        Regards,
        Thomas
      • carltondickson
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
          Thanks Thomas, Sergio and Moore.
          I tried using the postData method and it seems to work fine, just need
          to test to be sure...so thanks again!

          I don't know if this point is worthy of a mention in the
          documentation, possibly explain to the user why you would use GET and
          why POST.

          Is POST slightly more secure (in the sense the hacker would have to do
          a lot more than simply submit a URL with variables and values) and
          doesn't have a size limitation?

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas S. Sha" <tsha@...> wrote:

          > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "carltondickson"
          > <carltondickson@> wrote:
          > <sniP
          > > I outputted the method which is 'GET' and my uri which is just under
          > > 3300 characters long and is URL encoded.
          > >
          > > I also get an error "The system cannot locate the resource specified"
          > > on this line too in certain situations...
          > > o.conn.send(postData?postData:null);
          >
          > This error may also be related to the malformed GET request. Perhaps
          > you might considering using POST to avoid the querystring limit?
          >
          > Regards,
          > Thomas

        • bitrockers
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 30, 2006

            > Is POST slightly more secure (in the sense the hacker would have to
            > do a lot more than simply submit a URL with variables and values)
            > and doesn't have a size limitation?

            I guess the difference between POST and GET wouldn't stop a 'hacker'
            by any means. I always use POST because I remember that IE caches
            AJAX-GET-Requests. Maybe you can prevent this by sending some special
            extra headers, but you can avoid caching using the post method.

            Greetings
            Christian