aSyncRequest...is there a limit on the length of uri when using GET method?

  • carltondickson
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2006
      I have been using the connection manager without any problems for
      sometime now but unfortunately I have a problem in IE.

      I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that there is a limit on a GET
      request which I think is making my async request fail.

      I get an error "Error:Unspecified error" on this line of the
      connection script

      o.conn.open(method, uri, true);

      I outputted the method which is 'GET' and my uri which is just under
      3300 characters long and is URL encoded.

      I also get an error "The system cannot locate the resource specified"
      on this line too in certain situations...
      o.conn.send(postData?postData:null);

      Can anyone advise me why these error codes might be occuring?
    • moore234
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2006

        GET urls are limited in some browsers to ~2000 characters. See
        http://blogs.telerik.com/blogs/rumen_stankov/archive/2006/03/05/152.aspx
        and
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/208427

        Your 3300 character GET string, especially url encoded, will
        definitely exceed that length

        Not sure about the post issue.

        Dan

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "carltondickson"

      • sergio.cinos@info3.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2006
          Estimado carltondickson,

          Con fecha jueves, 30 de noviembre de 2006, 17:44:56, escribió:

          c> I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that there is a limit on a GET
          c> request which I think is making my async request fail.

          Yes, there is a limit. In RFC 2616, there is no maximum URL length
          specified. But IE have a limit of 2048 characters
          (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q208427/). FF just displays 65,535
          characters, but you can use more characters and it still works.

          More info here:
          http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/misc/urllength.html

          --
          Sergio Cinos
          Info3 Servicios Informáticos S.L.
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30, 2006
            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "carltondickson"
            <carltondickson@...> wrote:
            <sniP
            > I outputted the method which is 'GET' and my uri which is just under
            > 3300 characters long and is URL encoded.
            >
            > I also get an error "The system cannot locate the resource specified"
            > on this line too in certain situations...
            > o.conn.send(postData?postData:null);

            This error may also be related to the malformed GET request. Perhaps
            you might considering using POST to avoid the querystring limit?

            Regards,
            Thomas
          • carltondickson
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
              Thanks Thomas, Sergio and Moore.
              I tried using the postData method and it seems to work fine, just need
              to test to be sure...so thanks again!

              I don't know if this point is worthy of a mention in the
              documentation, possibly explain to the user why you would use GET and
              why POST.

              Is POST slightly more secure (in the sense the hacker would have to do
              a lot more than simply submit a URL with variables and values) and
              doesn't have a size limitation?

              --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas S. Sha" <tsha@...> wrote:

              > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "carltondickson"
              > <carltondickson@> wrote:
              > <sniP
              > > I outputted the method which is 'GET' and my uri which is just under
              > > 3300 characters long and is URL encoded.
              > >
              > > I also get an error "The system cannot locate the resource specified"
              > > on this line too in certain situations...
              > > o.conn.send(postData?postData:null);
              >
              > This error may also be related to the malformed GET request. Perhaps
              > you might considering using POST to avoid the querystring limit?
              >
              > Regards,
              > Thomas

            • bitrockers
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 30, 2006

                > Is POST slightly more secure (in the sense the hacker would have to
                > do a lot more than simply submit a URL with variables and values)
                > and doesn't have a size limitation?

                I guess the difference between POST and GET wouldn't stop a 'hacker'
                by any means. I always use POST because I remember that IE caches
                AJAX-GET-Requests. Maybe you can prevent this by sending some special
                extra headers, but you can avoid caching using the post method.

                Greetings
                Christian