Re: Poser

  • johnnysidmouth
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
      Whoops!!

      Just realised that this is probably not the correct forum for my
      problem. Apologies..can anyone suggest a better forum from where I
      may be able to get help

      Cheers

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "johnnysidmouth"
      <JOHNNYAITCH@...> wrote:

      > Hi all
      >
      > I am quite new to the world of HTML/Javascript having come from an
      > iSeries/AS400/RPG background. So apologies in advance if my
      > terminology is poor or the problem is easily fixed. Here goes:-)
      >
      > We are close to going live with our first inhouse website
      development
      > but we have a problem that i hope that you can help with.
      >
      > We display a scrolling list of records within the main page using
      the
      > HTML IFRAME tag. On each each record in this list it's possible to
      > hit a button to see more about the item in the list.
      >
      > However, if on hitting the button the user's session has timed out
      > (more than 30 minutes since they last hit a button/link) a screen is
      > displayed prompting them to sign in again. We do not use 'sessions'
      > as such...we log on our main server when a user last hit a
      > button/link and if that last time was more then 30 minutes ago then
      > the log entry is removed. When the user next hits a button/link we
      > want to display the sign on screen again.
      >
      > Problem is that the browser displays this sign on screen within the
      > scrollable "iframe window" instead of as a full screen; we want it
      > to 'overwrite' the full screen with the sign on screen and then
      > proceed as if the user had just signed on for the first time.
      >

      > I don't know of a way of making it display the sign on screen as a
      > full screen which is what I'd rather do although I could display a
      > sign on screen within the iframe which I don't want to do or open up
      > a new window which again I do not want to do
      >
      > If they hit a button elsewhere outside of the Iframe and they have
      > timed out then it all works just fine
      >

      > Any suggestions or comments?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > John

    • Nige White
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
        johnnysidmouth wrote:

        > Hi all
        >
        > I am quite new to the world of HTML/Javascript having come from an
        > iSeries/AS400/RPG background. So apologies in advance if my
        > terminology is poor or the problem is easily fixed. Here goes:-)
        >
        > We are close to going live with our first inhouse website development
        > but we have a problem that i hope that you can help with.
        >
        > We display a scrolling list of records within the main page using the
        > HTML IFRAME tag. On each each record in this list it's possible to
        > hit a button to see more about the item in the list.
        >
        > However, if on hitting the button the user's session has timed out
        > (more than 30 minutes since they last hit a button/link) a screen is
        > displayed prompting them to sign in again. We do not use 'sessions'
        > as such...we log on our main server when a user last hit a
        > button/link and if that last time was more then 30 minutes ago then
        > the log entry is removed. When the user next hits a button/link we
        > want to display the sign on screen again.
        >
        > Problem is that the browser displays this sign on screen within the
        > scrollable "iframe window" instead of as a full screen; we want it
        > to 'overwrite' the full screen with the sign on screen and then
        > proceed as if the user had just signed on for the first time.
        >

        > I don't know of a way of making it display the sign on screen as a
        > full screen which is what I'd rather do although I could display a
        > sign on screen within the iframe which I don't want to do or open up
        > a new window which again I do not want to do

        Well this is nothing whatsoever to do with javascript, and everything to
        do with how you are using the browser.

        A frame or an iframe is a seperate window into a seperate URL from the
        main browser window. Links followed in the frame/iframe appear in that
        frame/iframe.

        The answer is not to use iframes. Why are you using them? Why not just
        use a scrolling table inside a fixed size div?

        Nige

        e-mail : hostmaster@...
      • johnnysidmouth
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
          Nige

          Thanks for that

          I am using Iframes because as i said I am new to HTMl and javascript.
          I came across iframes as a way of doing what i want without having
          encountered what you suggest.

          I will try what you suggest now that I have been enlightened.

          Thanks again

          Johnny

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Nige White <nigelw@...> wrote:

          > johnnysidmouth wrote:
          >
          > > Hi all
          > >
          > > I am quite new to the world of HTML/Javascript having come from an
          > > iSeries/AS400/RPG background. So apologies in advance if my
          > > terminology is poor or the problem is easily fixed. Here goes:-)
          > >
          > > We are close to going live with our first inhouse website
          development
          > > but we have a problem that i hope that you can help with.
          > >
          > > We display a scrolling list of records within the main page using
          the
          > > HTML IFRAME tag. On each each record in this list it's possible to
          > > hit a button to see more about the item in the list.
          > >
          > > However, if on hitting the button the user's session has timed out
          > > (more than 30 minutes since they last hit a button/link) a screen
          is
          > > displayed prompting them to sign in again. We do not
          use 'sessions'
          > > as such...we log on our main server when a user last hit a
          > > button/link and if that last time was more then 30 minutes ago
          then
          > > the log entry is removed. When the user next hits a button/link we
          > > want to display the sign on screen again.
          > >
          > > Problem is that the browser displays this sign on screen within
          the
          > > scrollable "iframe window" instead of as a full screen; we want it
          > > to 'overwrite' the full screen with the sign on screen and then
          > > proceed as if the user had just signed on for the first time.
          > >

          > > I don't know of a way of making it display the sign on screen as a
          > > full screen which is what I'd rather do although I could display a
          > > sign on screen within the iframe which I don't want to do or open
          up
          > > a new window which again I do not want to do
          >
          > Well this is nothing whatsoever to do with javascript, and
          everything to
          > do with how you are using the browser.
          >
          > A frame or an iframe is a seperate window into a seperate URL from
          the
          > main browser window. Links followed in the frame/iframe appear in
          that
          > frame/iframe.
          >
          > The answer is not to use iframes. Why are you using them? Why not
          just
          > use a scrolling table inside a fixed size div?
          >
          > Nige

          > This message has been checked for all known viruses. Virus scanning
          > powered by Messagelabs http://www.messagelabs.com For more
          information
          > e-mail : hostmaster@...

        • johnnysidmouth
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
            Nige

            One of the reasons I use an iframe is that the contents of the
            scrolling display will change depending upon the user, the search
            criteria they enter and so on. Whilst the rest of the page is always
            the same. Not just the data in the scrolling table but the number of
            columns, the data item in each column, the column headings, the
            format of each item (different date formats for example) depending
            upon the user.

            Building the page to be displayed dynamically via a call to a program
            and displaying it within an Iframe seemed a good way of handling this
            and indeed it works well. However, I'll look at what you propose as
            that may be much better

          • sirshannon
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2006
              I think what you want to do is to put a javascript function in your
              "session timed out, please sign in again" page that is called when the
              page has loaded.

              Let's call the function "bustFrames".

              Inside a script block, add a function called bustFrames() with this code:
              <script type="text/javascript">
              function bustFrames() {
              if (top.location.href != location.href) {
              top.location.href=location.href;
              </script>

              That will check to see if the outermost window's address is the
              address of the page. Because the "session timed out" page is in an
              iframe, the script will see that the url of the outermost page (the
              one the user sees in the browser's address bar) is not equal to the
              "session timed out" page's url and will 'correct' that situation.

              To call this when the page has finished loading, in the body tag of
              your "session timed out" page, add
              onload="bustFrames();"

              You can do this many other ways, but this way will work and uses
              Javascript (and thus stays somewhat on topic).

              Let me know if anyone has a better way or if this does/does not work
              for you.

              <JOHNNYAITCH@...> wrote:

              > Hi all
              >
              > I am quite new to the world of HTML/Javascript having come from an
              > iSeries/AS400/RPG background. So apologies in advance if my
              > terminology is poor or the problem is easily fixed. Here goes:-)
              >
              > We are close to going live with our first inhouse website development
              > but we have a problem that i hope that you can help with.
              >
              > We display a scrolling list of records within the main page using the
              > HTML IFRAME tag. On each each record in this list it's possible to
              > hit a button to see more about the item in the list.
              >
              > However, if on hitting the button the user's session has timed out
              > (more than 30 minutes since they last hit a button/link) a screen is
              > displayed prompting them to sign in again. We do not use 'sessions'
              > as such...we log on our main server when a user last hit a
              > button/link and if that last time was more then 30 minutes ago then
              > the log entry is removed. When the user next hits a button/link we
              > want to display the sign on screen again.
              >
              > Problem is that the browser displays this sign on screen within the
              > scrollable "iframe window" instead of as a full screen; we want it
              > to 'overwrite' the full screen with the sign on screen and then
              > proceed as if the user had just signed on for the first time.
              >

              > I don't know of a way of making it display the sign on screen as a
              > full screen which is what I'd rather do although I could display a
              > sign on screen within the iframe which I don't want to do or open up
              > a new window which again I do not want to do
              >
              > If they hit a button elsewhere outside of the Iframe and they have
              > timed out then it all works just fine
              >

              > Any suggestions or comments?
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > John

            • johnnysidmouth
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
                Many thanks for the response

                In the end I have done away with the iFrame and gone for a scrollable
                table using a Div instead.

                Thanks again

                Johnny

                --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "sirshannon" <sirshannon@...>