Poser

  • johnnysidmouth
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
      Hi all

      I am quite new to the world of HTML/Javascript having come from an
      iSeries/AS400/RPG background. So apologies in advance if my
      terminology is poor or the problem is easily fixed. Here goes:-)

      We are close to going live with our first inhouse website development
      but we have a problem that i hope that you can help with.

      We display a scrolling list of records within the main page using the
      HTML IFRAME tag. On each each record in this list it's possible to
      hit a button to see more about the item in the list.

      However, if on hitting the button the user's session has timed out
      (more than 30 minutes since they last hit a button/link) a screen is
      displayed prompting them to sign in again. We do not use 'sessions'
      as such...we log on our main server when a user last hit a
      button/link and if that last time was more then 30 minutes ago then
      the log entry is removed. When the user next hits a button/link we
      want to display the sign on screen again.

      Problem is that the browser displays this sign on screen within the
      scrollable "iframe window" instead of as a full screen; we want it
      to 'overwrite' the full screen with the sign on screen and then
      proceed as if the user had just signed on for the first time.

      I don't know of a way of making it display the sign on screen as a
      full screen which is what I'd rather do although I could display a
      sign on screen within the iframe which I don't want to do or open up
      a new window which again I do not want to do

      If they hit a button elsewhere outside of the Iframe and they have
      timed out then it all works just fine

      Any suggestions or comments?

      Thanks

      John
    • johnnysidmouth
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
        Whoops!!

        Just realised that this is probably not the correct forum for my
        problem. Apologies..can anyone suggest a better forum from where I
        may be able to get help

        Cheers

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "johnnysidmouth"
        <JOHNNYAITCH@...> wrote:

        > Hi all
        >
        > I am quite new to the world of HTML/Javascript having come from an
        > iSeries/AS400/RPG background. So apologies in advance if my
        > terminology is poor or the problem is easily fixed. Here goes:-)
        >
        > We are close to going live with our first inhouse website
        development
        > but we have a problem that i hope that you can help with.
        >
        > We display a scrolling list of records within the main page using
        the
        > HTML IFRAME tag. On each each record in this list it's possible to
        > hit a button to see more about the item in the list.
        >
        > However, if on hitting the button the user's session has timed out
        > (more than 30 minutes since they last hit a button/link) a screen is
        > displayed prompting them to sign in again. We do not use 'sessions'
        > as such...we log on our main server when a user last hit a
        > button/link and if that last time was more then 30 minutes ago then
        > the log entry is removed. When the user next hits a button/link we
        > want to display the sign on screen again.
        >
        > Problem is that the browser displays this sign on screen within the
        > scrollable "iframe window" instead of as a full screen; we want it
        > to 'overwrite' the full screen with the sign on screen and then
        > proceed as if the user had just signed on for the first time.
        >

        > I don't know of a way of making it display the sign on screen as a
        > full screen which is what I'd rather do although I could display a
        > sign on screen within the iframe which I don't want to do or open up
        > a new window which again I do not want to do
        >
        > If they hit a button elsewhere outside of the Iframe and they have
        > timed out then it all works just fine
        >

        > Any suggestions or comments?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > John

      • Nige White
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
          johnnysidmouth wrote:

          > Hi all
          >
          > I am quite new to the world of HTML/Javascript having come from an
          > iSeries/AS400/RPG background. So apologies in advance if my
          > terminology is poor or the problem is easily fixed. Here goes:-)
          >
          > We are close to going live with our first inhouse website development
          > but we have a problem that i hope that you can help with.
          >
          > We display a scrolling list of records within the main page using the
          > HTML IFRAME tag. On each each record in this list it's possible to
          > hit a button to see more about the item in the list.
          >
          > However, if on hitting the button the user's session has timed out
          > (more than 30 minutes since they last hit a button/link) a screen is
          > displayed prompting them to sign in again. We do not use 'sessions'
          > as such...we log on our main server when a user last hit a
          > button/link and if that last time was more then 30 minutes ago then
          > the log entry is removed. When the user next hits a button/link we
          > want to display the sign on screen again.
          >
          > Problem is that the browser displays this sign on screen within the
          > scrollable "iframe window" instead of as a full screen; we want it
          > to 'overwrite' the full screen with the sign on screen and then
          > proceed as if the user had just signed on for the first time.
          >

          > I don't know of a way of making it display the sign on screen as a
          > full screen which is what I'd rather do although I could display a
          > sign on screen within the iframe which I don't want to do or open up
          > a new window which again I do not want to do

          Well this is nothing whatsoever to do with javascript, and everything to
          do with how you are using the browser.

          A frame or an iframe is a seperate window into a seperate URL from the
          main browser window. Links followed in the frame/iframe appear in that
          frame/iframe.

          The answer is not to use iframes. Why are you using them? Why not just
          use a scrolling table inside a fixed size div?

          Nige

          e-mail : hostmaster@...
        • johnnysidmouth
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
            Nige

            Thanks for that

            I am using Iframes because as i said I am new to HTMl and javascript.
            I came across iframes as a way of doing what i want without having
            encountered what you suggest.

            I will try what you suggest now that I have been enlightened.

            Thanks again

            Johnny

            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Nige White <nigelw@...> wrote:

            > johnnysidmouth wrote:
            >
            > > Hi all
            > >
            > > I am quite new to the world of HTML/Javascript having come from an
            > > iSeries/AS400/RPG background. So apologies in advance if my
            > > terminology is poor or the problem is easily fixed. Here goes:-)
            > >
            > > We are close to going live with our first inhouse website
            development
            > > but we have a problem that i hope that you can help with.
            > >
            > > We display a scrolling list of records within the main page using
            the
            > > HTML IFRAME tag. On each each record in this list it's possible to
            > > hit a button to see more about the item in the list.
            > >
            > > However, if on hitting the button the user's session has timed out
            > > (more than 30 minutes since they last hit a button/link) a screen
            is
            > > displayed prompting them to sign in again. We do not
            use 'sessions'
            > > as such...we log on our main server when a user last hit a
            > > button/link and if that last time was more then 30 minutes ago
            then
            > > the log entry is removed. When the user next hits a button/link we
            > > want to display the sign on screen again.
            > >
            > > Problem is that the browser displays this sign on screen within
            the
            > > scrollable "iframe window" instead of as a full screen; we want it
            > > to 'overwrite' the full screen with the sign on screen and then
            > > proceed as if the user had just signed on for the first time.
            > >

            > > I don't know of a way of making it display the sign on screen as a
            > > full screen which is what I'd rather do although I could display a
            > > sign on screen within the iframe which I don't want to do or open
            up
            > > a new window which again I do not want to do
            >
            > Well this is nothing whatsoever to do with javascript, and
            everything to
            > do with how you are using the browser.
            >
            > A frame or an iframe is a seperate window into a seperate URL from
            the
            > main browser window. Links followed in the frame/iframe appear in
            that
            > frame/iframe.
            >
            > The answer is not to use iframes. Why are you using them? Why not
            just
            > use a scrolling table inside a fixed size div?
            >
            > Nige

            > This message has been checked for all known viruses. Virus scanning
            > powered by Messagelabs http://www.messagelabs.com For more
            information
            > e-mail : hostmaster@...

          • johnnysidmouth
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
              Nige

              One of the reasons I use an iframe is that the contents of the
              scrolling display will change depending upon the user, the search
              criteria they enter and so on. Whilst the rest of the page is always
              the same. Not just the data in the scrolling table but the number of
              columns, the data item in each column, the column headings, the
              format of each item (different date formats for example) depending
              upon the user.

              Building the page to be displayed dynamically via a call to a program
              and displaying it within an Iframe seemed a good way of handling this
              and indeed it works well. However, I'll look at what you propose as
              that may be much better

            • sirshannon
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1, 2006
                I think what you want to do is to put a javascript function in your
                "session timed out, please sign in again" page that is called when the
                page has loaded.

                Let's call the function "bustFrames".

                Inside a script block, add a function called bustFrames() with this code:
                <script type="text/javascript">
                function bustFrames() {
                if (top.location.href != location.href) {
                top.location.href=location.href;
                </script>

                That will check to see if the outermost window's address is the
                address of the page. Because the "session timed out" page is in an
                iframe, the script will see that the url of the outermost page (the
                one the user sees in the browser's address bar) is not equal to the
                "session timed out" page's url and will 'correct' that situation.

                To call this when the page has finished loading, in the body tag of
                your "session timed out" page, add
                onload="bustFrames();"

                You can do this many other ways, but this way will work and uses
                Javascript (and thus stays somewhat on topic).

                Let me know if anyone has a better way or if this does/does not work
                for you.

                <JOHNNYAITCH@...> wrote:

                > Hi all
                >
                > I am quite new to the world of HTML/Javascript having come from an
                > iSeries/AS400/RPG background. So apologies in advance if my
                > terminology is poor or the problem is easily fixed. Here goes:-)
                >
                > We are close to going live with our first inhouse website development
                > but we have a problem that i hope that you can help with.
                >
                > We display a scrolling list of records within the main page using the
                > HTML IFRAME tag. On each each record in this list it's possible to
                > hit a button to see more about the item in the list.
                >
                > However, if on hitting the button the user's session has timed out
                > (more than 30 minutes since they last hit a button/link) a screen is
                > displayed prompting them to sign in again. We do not use 'sessions'
                > as such...we log on our main server when a user last hit a
                > button/link and if that last time was more then 30 minutes ago then
                > the log entry is removed. When the user next hits a button/link we
                > want to display the sign on screen again.
                >
                > Problem is that the browser displays this sign on screen within the
                > scrollable "iframe window" instead of as a full screen; we want it
                > to 'overwrite' the full screen with the sign on screen and then
                > proceed as if the user had just signed on for the first time.
                >

                > I don't know of a way of making it display the sign on screen as a
                > full screen which is what I'd rather do although I could display a
                > sign on screen within the iframe which I don't want to do or open up
                > a new window which again I do not want to do
                >
                > If they hit a button elsewhere outside of the Iframe and they have
                > timed out then it all works just fine
                >

                > Any suggestions or comments?
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > John

              • johnnysidmouth
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
                  Many thanks for the response

                  In the end I have done away with the iFrame and gone for a scrollable
                  table using a Div instead.

                  Thanks again

                  Johnny

                  --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "sirshannon" <sirshannon@...>