Auto Complete Issue in Firefox - sample link included - please help

  • mayfindher
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 22, 2006
      The Issue is this:
      In IE 6 & 7 the auto complete works as it should.
      However, in Firefox 1.5, when data is entered into the imput field found within a fieldset, the shadow and container do NOT drop below the imput field, but instead appear below the label.

      Here's the link to see for yourself

      Notable:
      The YUI CSS exists at block level, plus I am calling several external styles. Even when removing these external styles, and using the exact YUI code, problems exist.

      Thanks in advance for your help.

    • jennykhan
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 30, 2006
        Hi there,

        I'm not able to reproduce the problem using your code but pointing to
        the latest YUI builds. Can you confirm which version you are using?

        Thanks,
        Jenny

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "mayfindher" <mayfindher@...>

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2006
          Hi Jenny, thanks for responding.

          The version I am using is: 0.11.4

          Quick question:
          When you went to the following link,
          http://www.keithgill.info/auto-complete_ignorance/restore-what.html
          and typed "T" in the input field, were you able to see the problem?
          If not, what browser, version and OS are you running?

          Apart from updating to the latest version, do you have any suggestions
          as to how I can fix this issue?

          Thanks for your assistance Jenny.

          Sincerely,
          Keith

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
            Hi Keith,

            When I went to your site, I did see the problem. However, in order to
            troubleshoot, I need to have a reproducible case locally. Since I'm
            not able to reproduce using the latest builds of the library,
            unfortunately I can't offer much advice on how to fix your problem.

            Regards,

            wrote:

            > Hi Jenny, thanks for responding.
            >
            > The version I am using is: 0.11.4
            >
            > Quick question:
            > When you went to the following link,
            > http://www.keithgill.info/auto-complete_ignorance/restore-what.html
            > and typed "T" in the input field, were you able to see the problem?
            > If not, what browser, version and OS are you running?
            >
            > Apart from updating to the latest version, do you have any suggestions
            > as to how I can fix this issue?
            >
            > Thanks for your assistance Jenny.
            >
            > Sincerely,
            > Keith
            >

            > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jennykhan" <jennyhan@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi there,
            > >
            > > I'm not able to reproduce the problem using your code but pointing to
            > > the latest YUI builds. Can you confirm which version you are using?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Jenny
            > >

            > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "mayfindher" <mayfindher@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > The Issue is this:
            > > > In IE 6 & 7 the auto complete works as it should.
            > > > However, in Firefox 1.5, when data is entered into the imput field
            > found
            > > > within a fieldset, the shadow and container do NOT drop below the
            > imput
            > > > field, but instead appear below the label.
            > > >
            > > > Here's the link to see for yourself

            <http://www.keithgill.info/auto-complete_ignorance/restore-what.html>

            > > > Notable:
            > > > The YUI CSS exists at block level, plus I am calling several
            external
            > > > styles. Even when removing these external styles, and using the
            exact
            > > > YUI code, problems exist.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks in advance for your help.

          • assyriannation
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 14, 2006
              I'm having the same problem in my site too. Its working fine on the
              IE, but not FireFox 2.0.
              I havent touched the code, but also not sure since when the problem
              started.
              It used to work fine before.

              wrote:

              > Hi Keith,
              >
              > When I went to your site, I did see the problem. However, in order
              > troubleshoot, I need to have a reproducible case locally. Since I'm
              > not able to reproduce using the latest builds of the library,
              > unfortunately I can't offer much advice on how to fix your problem.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Jenny
              >

              > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "mayfindher" <mayfindher@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Jenny, thanks for responding.
              > >
              > > The version I am using is: 0.11.4
              > >
              > > Quick question:
              > > When you went to the following link,
              > > http://www.keithgill.info/auto-complete_ignorance/restore-
              what.html
              > > and typed "T" in the input field, were you able to see the
              problem?
              > > If not, what browser, version and OS are you running?
              > >
              > > Apart from updating to the latest version, do you have any
              suggestions
              > > as to how I can fix this issue?
              > >
              > > Thanks for your assistance Jenny.
              > >
              > > Sincerely,
              > > Keith
              > >

              > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jennykhan" <jennyhan@>
              wrote:

              > > > Hi there,
              > > >
              > > > I'm not able to reproduce the problem using your code but
              pointing to
              > > > the latest YUI builds. Can you confirm which version you are
              using?

              > > > Thanks,
              > > > Jenny
              > > >

              > > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "mayfindher"
              <mayfindher@>

              > > found
              > > imput

              > <http://www.keithgill.info/auto-complete_ignorance/restore-
              what.html>

              > external
              > exact

            • sdezzi
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 14, 2006
                Keith,

                In your case, looking at the CSS on the linked page you provided,
                seems like it's the 'float:left' you have on the LABEL tag which is
                causing the DIV with id="hostAutocompleteContainer" to wrap around
                under the label (same for the "directoryAutocompleteContainer")

                Applying a 'float:left' to the #hostAutocompleteExternalDiv rule
                should probably fix it. This float gets cleared on the next P, so
                everything should look still look OK for the next LABEL.

                Or, you could apply a 'margin-left:120px' to the same rule, since
                you have a fixed 120px label.

                Either of these should stop the autocomplete div from wrapping
                around underneath the floated LABEL.

                I tried it out on IE6/WIN, OPERA9/WIN, FF1.5,2/WIN and works
                across all of them.

                NOTE: The 'P' tags you have do not seem to be interpreted correctly
                with the XHTML doctype and Firefox ends up wrapping only the LABEL
                instead of the LABEL and the AutoComplete DIV. Luckily this still
                works for what you're trying to do, but still, something to keep in
                mind.

                Assyriannation,

                If you could post your code or a link and we can see if it's a
                similar problem.

                Regards,
                Satyen

                --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "assyriannation"

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 15, 2006
                  Here is the link to my site
                  http://www.qeenatha.com

                  Thanks

                  --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "sdezzi" <sdezzi@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  >
                  > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "assyriannation"
                  > <neo.assyrian@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm having the same problem in my site too. Its working fine on
                  > the
                  > > IE, but not FireFox 2.0.
                  > > I havent touched the code, but also not sure since when the
                  > problem
                  > > started.
                  > > It used to work fine before.
                  > >
                  > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jennykhan" <jennyhan@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi Keith,
                  > > >
                  > > > When I went to your site, I did see the problem. However, in
                  > order
                  > > > troubleshoot, I need to have a reproducible case locally. Since
                  > I'm
                  > > > not able to reproduce using the latest builds of the library,
                  > > > unfortunately I can't offer much advice on how to fix your

                • Satyen Desai
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 15, 2006
                    Hey Assyriannation,

                    Try changing

                        var myAutoComp = new YAHOO.widget.AutoComplete("query","container2", myDataSource3);

                        var myAutoComp = new YAHOO.widget.AutoComplete("myInput","container2", myDataSource3);

                    Your AutoComplete's INPUT markup is

                        <input name="query" id="myInput" ....>

                    And the AutoComplete constructor expects the ID as the first argument as opposed to the NAME

                    It probably works in IE with the name, because eventually document.getElementById is used to find the element, which in IE looks up elements by NAME as well as ID

                    Also, maybe a little more robust if you wait for the page to load or the AutoComplete INPUT/DIV elements to be available before you  attempt  to create the AutoComplete control instead of running the code inline, just to make sure they are part of the DOM [ see http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/event/#onavailable  for info on the onAvailable event ].

                  • mayfindher
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 18, 2006
                      Thanks Satyen.

                      The only thing I had to do was replace the position:relative tag with
                      a float:left tag within the #hostAutocompleteExternalDiv and
                      #directoryAutocompleteExternalDiv.

                      As for your comment:
                      > NOTE: The 'P' tags you have do not seem to be interpreted correctly
                      > with the XHTML doctype and Firefox ends up wrapping only the LABEL
                      > instead of the LABEL and the AutoComplete DIV. Luckily this still
                      > works for what you're trying to do, but still, something to keep in
                      > mind.
                      Is this a known bug and can you direct me to any documentation
                      regarding this issue?

                      Thank you,
                      Keith

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 18, 2006

                        > Is this a known bug and can you direct me to any documentation
                        > regarding this issue?

                        Hey Keith,

                        It's probably because, as per spec, the markup you have is invalid. The P tag is only allowed to contain Inline elements.

                        http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/dtds.html#dtdentry_xhtml1-strict.dtd_p

                        Hence, the browser decides to leave the LABEL (an inline elem) inside the P because it's valid. The DIV (a block elem) gets moved out, because it is not.  Same probably applies to HTML but haven't checked the various DTDs.

                        Hope that helps.

                        Satyen

                      • assyriannation
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 18, 2006