input fields do not focus for forms in Panel

  • jas0n510
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2006

      I'm displaying a form in my Panel with some textfields and I notice
      that when I click inside the textfield area, the cursor does not
      start flashing inside it as I would expect-- any ideas what I can do?
      This is with latest FireFox.

      Thanks, Jason
    • email2robot
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 9, 2006
        Does anyone have a solution to this yet. I am also having the same
        problem with cursors not displaying in text boxes within a panel. The
        problem occurs in Firefox(v2) but seems to work fine in IE.

        Thanks,

        Justin

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jas0n510" <novotny@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm displaying a form in my Panel with some textfields and I notice
        > that when I click inside the textfield area, the cursor does not
        > start flashing inside it as I would expect-- any ideas what I can do?
        > This is with latest FireFox.
        >
        > Thanks, Jason

      • Michael Newton
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 28, 2006
          Also seeing this in Firefox 2.0.0.1, and IE is not an option for my
          intranet software! There must be a way to fix this.

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "email2robot" <robot8me@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone have a solution to this yet. I am also having the same
          > problem with cursors not displaying in text boxes within a panel. The
          > problem occurs in Firefox(v2) but seems to work fine in IE.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Justin
          >
          > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jas0n510" <novotny@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I'm displaying a form in my Panel with some textfields and I notice
          > > that when I click inside the textfield area, the cursor does not
          > > start flashing inside it as I would expect-- any ideas what I can do?
          > > This is with latest FireFox.
          > >
          > > Thanks, Jason

        • Steven Peterson
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 28, 2006

            Justin,

            This is a Mozilla bug that has been around for several years now. I’m not sure of the specific details, but It usually relates to relative positioning of either the elements containing the text fields, or elements below the container. When you render your Panel, make sure you render it to document.body by calling myPanel.render(document.body) so that the markup relocates itself to the scope of the entire document. This will help you avoid some of the nested markup bugs that are common with positioning in Firefox. Also, I encourage you to look at the Dialog example here:

            http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/container/dialog/solution.html

            The bug that you’re talking about isn’t reproducible in our example of using a form in a Panel (otherwise known as a YUI Dialog), so figuring out the difference between our implementation and yours may help you solve the issue. Please let us know what you find in regard to this issue and if we can help in any other way.

            Steven Peterson

            Web Developer, Platform Engineering

            Yahoo!

            "jas0n510" <novotny@> wrote:

            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I'm displaying a form in my Panel with some textfields and I notice
            > > that when I click inside the textfield area, the cursor does not
            > > start flashing inside it as I would expect-- any ideas what I can do?
            > > This is with latest FireFox.
            > >
            > > Thanks, Jason

          • Michael Newton
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 28, 2006
              I found another thread discussing this, and it was suggested that
              position:relative was the culprit. So I opened up container.css and
              changed .panel to position:fixed (line 103) and it worked. Of course,
              now I can't move the panel, which is pretty useless. But hopefully it
              will provide help for someone to fix this.

              --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jas0n510" <novotny@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I'm displaying a form in my Panel with some textfields and I notice
              > that when I click inside the textfield area, the cursor does not
              > start flashing inside it as I would expect-- any ideas what I can do?
              > This is with latest FireFox.
              >
              > Thanks, Jason

            • Steven Peterson
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 28, 2006

                Did you get a chance to look at the Dialog example where this is not an issue? You should not have to change the Panel to position:fixed in order to resolve this issue.

                Steven Peterson

                Web Developer, Platform Engineering

                Yahoo!

                I found another thread discussing this, and it was suggested that
                position:relative was the culprit. So I opened up container.css and
                changed .panel to position:fixed (line 103) and it worked. Of course,
                now I can't move the panel, which is pretty useless. But hopefully it
                will provide help for someone to fix this.

                --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jas0n510" <novotny@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I'm displaying a form in my Panel with some textfields and I notice
                > that when I click inside the textfield area, the cursor does not
                > start flashing inside it as I would expect-- any ideas what I can do?
                > This is with latest FireFox.
                >
                > Thanks, Jason

              • Michael Newton
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 28, 2006
                  I know I shouldn't have to change it, but I do! Here's a simplified
                  testcase of what's happening. I started out with a saved copy of my
                  intranet page and pared it down from there.

                  The textarea in the (fixed position) blue box has a caret, while the
                  textarea in the (relatively positioned) red box appears not to. The
                  caret is being "covered up" by the blue box. Start typing in the red
                  box; when the caret is outside the bounds of the blue box it will
                  appear again. Because the YUI dialog is relatively positioned, any
                  time it's over top of a fixed or absolutely positioned element, the
                  cursor is going to disappear.

                  This is clearly a browser problem, but I'm hoping some CSS or JS guru
                  can come up with a way around it. It's been fixed for Firefox 3.0 but
                  nobody seems to be too worried about it getting put on the 2.0 branch.

                  ----✂----✂----✂----✂----✂----✂

                  #foo {
                  position: fixed;
                  height: 100px;
                  width: 300px;
                  background-color: blue;
                  }
                  #bar {
                  position:relative;
                  top: 70px;
                  left: 200px;
                  height: 100px;
                  width: 300px;
                  background-color: red;
                  }

                  <title>Test Case</title>

                  <textarea></textarea>

                  <textarea></textarea>

                  ----✂----✂----✂----✂----✂----✂

                  <y_stevenp@...> wrote:

                  > Did you get a chance to look at the Dialog example where this is not an
                  > issue? You should not have to change the Panel to position:fixed in
                  order to
                  > resolve this issue.
                  >
                  > Steven Peterson
                  > Web Developer, Platform Engineering
                  > Yahoo!

                • Steven Peterson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 28, 2006

                    Michael,

                    The Panel in the Dialog example is also positioned relatively, but functions properly in Firefox 2, with the cursor showing up as expected. I’m guessing that this may be because the outer container of the Panel (panel-container) is positioned absolutely. Is there something in your Panel implementation that is possibly overriding the outer positioning to make it relative instead of absolute? The URL where the text fields function correctly in a YUI Panel is http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/container/dialog/solution.html -- please let me know if that works for you. If it does, then I can try to help you figure out what the delta between your implementation and mine is, so that you can get yours working.

[...]

                    ----&#9986;----&#9986;----&#9986;----&#9986;----&#9986;----&#9986;

                    #foo {
                    position: fixed;
                    height: 100px;
                    width: 300px;
                    background-color: blue;
                    }
                    #bar {
                    position:relative;
                    top: 70px;
                    left: 200px;
                    height: 100px;
                    width: 300px;
                    background-color: red;
                    }

                    <title>Test Case</title>

                    <textarea></textarea>

                    <textarea></textarea>

                    <y_stevenp@...> wrote:

                    > Did you get a chance to look at the Dialog example where this is not an
                    > issue? You should not have to change the Panel to position:fixed in
                    order to
                    > resolve this issue.
                    >
                    > Steven Peterson
                    > Web Developer, Platform Engineering
                    > Yahoo!

                  • Michael Newton
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 28, 2006
                      Quoting myself:
                      >>Because the YUI dialog is relatively positioned, any time it's over top
                      >>of a fixed position element, the cursor is going to disappear.

                      Your example page has no fixed position elements in it, so will not
                      exhibit this problem. Take that example page, and add
                      "position:fixed" to the style rule for #resp. Now, anytime you drag
                      the dialog such that an input is above the #resp element, the caret
                      will disappear.

                      I thought it was fixed and absolutely positioned elements, but it's
                      just fixed.

                      <y_stevenp@...> wrote:

                      > Michael,
                      >

                      > The Panel in the Dialog example is also positioned relatively, but
                      functions
                      > properly in Firefox 2, with the cursor showing up as expected. I'm
                      guessing
                      > that this may be because the outer container of the Panel
                      (panel-container)
                      > is positioned absolutely. Is there something in your Panel
                      implementation
                      > that is possibly overriding the outer positioning to make it relative
                      > instead of absolute? The URL where the text fields function
                      correctly in a
                      > YUI Panel is

                      http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/container/dialog/solution.html --
                      > please let me know if that works for you. If it does, then I can try
                      to help
                      > you figure out what the delta between your implementation and mine
                      is, so
                      > that you can get yours working.
                      >

                      > Steven Peterson
                      >
                      > Web Developer, Platform Engineering
                      >
                      > Yahoo!

                    • Michael Newton
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
                        Can you confirm that you see this behaviour and give an indication
                        whether it's something that you guys can work around?

                        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Newton"
                        <mnewton32@...> wrote:

                        > Quoting myself:
                        > >>Because the YUI dialog is relatively positioned, any time it's
                        over top
                        > >>of a fixed position element, the cursor is going to disappear.
                        >
                        > Your example page has no fixed position elements in it, so will not
                        > exhibit this problem. Take that example page, and add
                        > "position:fixed" to the style rule for #resp. Now, anytime you drag
                        > the dialog such that an input is above the #resp element, the caret
                        > will disappear.
                        >
                        > I thought it was fixed and absolutely positioned elements, but it's
                        > just fixed.
                        >
                        > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Peterson"
                        > <y_stevenp@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Michael,
                        > >

                        > > The Panel in the Dialog example is also positioned relatively, but
                        > functions
                        > > properly in Firefox 2, with the cursor showing up as expected. I'm
                        > guessing
                        > > that this may be because the outer container of the Panel
                        > (panel-container)
                        > > is positioned absolutely. Is there something in your Panel
                        > implementation
                        > > that is possibly overriding the outer positioning to make it relative
                        > > instead of absolute? The URL where the text fields function
                        > correctly in a
                        > > YUI Panel is

                        http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/container/dialog/solution.html --
                        > > please let me know if that works for you. If it does, then I can try
                        > to help
                        > > you figure out what the delta between your implementation and mine
                        > is, so
                        > > that you can get yours working.
                        > >
                        > > Steven Peterson
                        > >
                        > > Web Developer, Platform Engineering
                        > >
                        > > Yahoo!

                      • Michael Newton
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 2, 2007
                          I guess not.

                          <mnewton32@...> wrote:

                          > Can you confirm that you see this behaviour and give an indication
                          > whether it's something that you guys can work around?
                          >
                          > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Newton"
                          > <mnewton32@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Quoting myself:
                          > over top
                          > >
                          > > Your example page has no fixed position elements in it, so will not
                          > > exhibit this problem. Take that example page, and add
                          > > "position:fixed" to the style rule for #resp. Now, anytime you drag
                          > > the dialog such that an input is above the #resp element, the caret
                          > > will disappear.
                          > >
                          > > I thought it was fixed and absolutely positioned elements, but it's
                          > > just fixed.
                          > >
                          > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Peterson"
                          > > <y_stevenp@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Michael,
                          > > >

                          > > > The Panel in the Dialog example is also positioned relatively, but
                          > > functions
                          > > > properly in Firefox 2, with the cursor showing up as expected. I'm
                          > > guessing
                          > > > that this may be because the outer container of the Panel
                          > > (panel-container)
                          > > > is positioned absolutely. Is there something in your Panel
                          > > implementation
                          > > > that is possibly overriding the outer positioning to make it
                          relative
                          > > > instead of absolute? The URL where the text fields function
                          > > correctly in a
                          > > > YUI Panel is

                          http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/container/dialog/solution.html --
                          > > > please let me know if that works for you. If it does, then I can try
                          > > to help
                          > > > you figure out what the delta between your implementation and mine
                          > > is, so
                          > > > that you can get yours working.
                          > > >
                          > > > Steven Peterson
                          > > >
                          > > > Web Developer, Platform Engineering
                          > > >
                          > > > Yahoo!

                        • tssha
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 3, 2007
                            <mnewton32@...> wrote:

                            > Can you confirm that you see this behaviour and give an indication
                            > whether it's something that you guys can work around?

                            We are currently investigating if it is possible to work around this
                            issue in FF. At this time, we do not have an ETA; but, if a fix is
                            discovered, it will be posted to this thread and incorporated into YUI.

                            Regards,
                            Thomas
                          • Michael Newton
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 5, 2007
                              --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "tssha" <tsha@...> wrote:

                              > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Newton"
                              > <mnewton32@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Can you confirm that you see this behaviour and give an indication
                              > > whether it's something that you guys can work around?
                              >
                              > We are currently investigating if it is possible to work around this
                              > issue in FF. At this time, we do not have an ETA; but, if a fix is
                              > discovered, it will be posted to this thread and incorporated into YUI.
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              > Thomas

                              Okay, thanks. Just wanted to make sure you were able to replicate the
                              issue.
                            • yuri.oleshko
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 15, 2007
                                --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jas0n510" <novotny@...> wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > I'm displaying a form in my Panel with some textfields and I notice
                                > that when I click inside the textfield area, the cursor does not
                                > start flashing inside it as I would expect-- any ideas what I can do?
                                > This is with latest FireFox.
                                >
                                > Thanks, Jason

                                A workaround is to set the attribute style.position = "fixed" for the
                                div-element containing the input field.