Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: Ajax callback should open returned content

  • Josh Peters
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2006
      On 10/31/06, Thomas S. Sha <tsha@...> wrote:
      > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Loubser Francois"
      > <floubser@...> wrote:
      > > Hi
      > >
      > > What do I have to do in the callback handleSuccess if I want to
      > return a text file or excel file as the return of my AJAX call? That
      > is how can I get the browser to come up with a Save As or Open With
      > dialog?
      >
      > Connection manager -- or XHR for that matter -- is not the right
      > mechanism to accomplish the described task - to throw a "Save As" dialog.
      >
      > Attempting to request binaries via connection manager/XHR will result
      > in a binary stream which is problematic at best.

      What I would do is to have your success handler create a download
      link, ala what Google video does after you choose the type. Instead
      of returning the file, put the file into a temporary storage and
      create a file download script that sets the "Content-Disposition"
      header to "attachment; filename=<put a filename here>".