How to delay slider behaviour

  • Michael Newton
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2006
      I've got an onChange handler for some sliders that I don't want
      triggered every time the slider moves. Is there a way to avoid the
      event from firing until the slider has 'settled down'?

      For example, one of the sliders updates a database in real time. If
      someone clicks the background to move the thumb (instead of dragging
      it) there could be 5 or 10 writes to the database before the thumb
      gets to its final position.

      Maybe someone has an idea that will solve the problem? Thank you.
    • Michael Newton
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
        There must be someone out there who's worked out something with
        setTimeout or setInterval maybe?

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Newton"
        <mnewton32@...> wrote:

        > I've got an onChange handler for some sliders that I don't want
        > triggered every time the slider moves. Is there a way to avoid the
        > event from firing until the slider has 'settled down'?
        >
        > For example, one of the sliders updates a database in real time. If
        > someone clicks the background to move the thumb (instead of dragging
        > it) there could be 5 or 10 writes to the database before the thumb
        > gets to its final position.
        >
        > Maybe someone has an idea that will solve the problem? Thank you.

      • Adam Moore
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
          On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 07:51:23PM -0000, Michael Newton wrote:
          > I've got an onChange handler for some sliders that I don't want
          > triggered every time the slider moves. Is there a way to avoid the
          > event from firing until the slider has 'settled down'?
          >
          > For example, one of the sliders updates a database in real time. If
          > someone clicks the background to move the thumb (instead of dragging
          > it) there could be 5 or 10 writes to the database before the thumb
          > gets to its final position.
          >
          > Maybe someone has an idea that will solve the problem? Thank you.

          Michael, there is a property called moveComplete that is set to true when
          the animation is complete. Check this value in your onChange handler and
          only do your database update when it is true.

          -Adam
        • Michael Newton
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
            Thank you, shame this isn't documented!