YUI Large Dataset Progressive Rendering Menu with Delay?

  • grump604
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2006
      Hello All,

      I have built a large dataset for managing large scale image
      cataloging... similar to Getty Images... my test menus are great, an
      active gallery of 2000 categories loads from the database, downloads,
      and renders in about 2 seconds, then progressively renders submenus as
      appropriate, in fact performance is better even the pure CSS on top of
      HTML lists...

      however...

      I am finding that based on the sheer volume of submenus I am having
      stalls with the rendering sometimes when rolling over several at once.

      Basically say I have a menu structure like this: (made-up example)

      Buildings >
      Skyscrapers >
      Condominiums >
      Victorian Houses >
      Tutor Homes >
      Townhomes >
      Firehalls >
      DT Office
      TD Dominion Bank
      Banks >
      etc...

      There are a lot of submenus, each of which is composed of a lot of
      submenus. The rending of each one individually is fine, but if I
      rollover the list scrolling down with my mouse I am forcing all the
      submenus to load at once... at least I think this is what is
      happening... the end result is that the system hangs while it tries to
      catch up...

      What I am wondering is what would be the best method of adding a delay
      to the system so that it will not call onMenuBeforeShow until say a
      half second of hovering over a submenu?

      My code is nearly identical to example 13 the only difference really
      being that I've made it Pure Javascript and run it off of a single
      array of objects... so if you provide the answer in the context of
      that example i can adapt it:

      http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/example13.html

      Thanks in advance!
      Owen
    • Todd Kloots
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
        Hey Owen -

        The upcoming release of Menu will actually have lazy
        "showdelay" property. Both of these should solve your
        problem. Can you wait a few more days or do you need
        solution right now"?

        - Todd

      • grump604
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
          Hi Todd,

          Sweet! Thats really good news... you've totally made my day! I
          think I can wait a few days if it avoids adding complexity on top of
          something that is being prebuilt. :)

          Thanks again!

          Cheers,
          Owen