Re: YUI and Server Push (or HTTP Push or Comet)

  • alex.pooley
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Ricardo Barrios
      <ricardobarrios@...> wrote:

      > But i think that i must find some specific library to handle comet
      > requests and use YUI for all the rest of related behaviors.

      There's all sorts of issues with Comet. Ranging from IE buffering the
      response until you close the connection, to firewalls closing the
      connection prematurely.

      If you search for 'comet' here: http://ajaxpatterns.org/ you will find
      a great reference (though it seems to be down right now). Wikipedia
      also has a reasonable reference:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_%28programming%29

      If you still decide to go ahead, please consider writing this (or
      porting someone's comet lib) to YUI, and I/we will shower you in
      eternal glory.

      I simply poll the server, and it's pretty effective. It scales very
      well. Also, you may like to look in to using Flash connections,
      depending on your requirements.