grid.css text-align

  • vasanth_web
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2006
      I see that the grid.css has the following

      body {
      text-align:center;
      }

      I feel the YUI should not be setting attributes for body tags... what
      do you think???
    • Nate Koechley
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 30, 2006
        Hello vasanth_web,

        The base structure of a YUI Grids page is:

        As you noted, grids.css initially sets BODY {text-align:center}, a
        technique that centers #doc in the viewport for some browsers.
        Please note that the very next line in grids.css sets #doc
        {text-align:left;}, the default value. Therefore, no actual content
        on the page is text-aligned center.

        I understand your desire for BODY to be unaffected by YUI CSS.
        However the alternative would be an additional nested DIV to achieve
        viewport centering for all A-grade browsers. Because using the
        text-align property on BODY minimizes the markup required, and,
        importantly, because it is declared back to default (:left) in the
        very next node, I think we made the correct trade off.

        Thanks for expressing your opinion, and please let me know any other
        thoughts you have on the topic.

        Thanks
        Nate

        Yahoo! Presentation Platform Engineering