Re: [ydn-javascript] YUI and Server Push (or HTTP Push or Comet)

  • Ricardo Barrios
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
      Hi Nige,

      It's a good aproach, but i'm planning to use python as server side
      language, and dwr use java as server side :P

      But i think that i must find some specific library to handle comet
      requests and use YUI for all the rest of related behaviors.

      El lun, 30-10-2006 a las 12:11 +0000, Nige White escribió:
      > I use DWR as my means of exporting functionality across into the
      > browser.
      >
      > I'm planning to use the "Reverse Ajax" capability in V2 to implement
      > reminders and warnings from the server (such as "system shutdown"
      > messages, Diary action messages, email arrival messages etc).
      >
      > I think it works by polling the server at a configurable rate. The
      > server can respond with executable code. I've not investigated it
      > yet,
      > but take a look : http://getahead.ltd.uk/dwr and
      > http://ajaxian.com/archives/hands-on-dwr
    • alex.pooley
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Ricardo Barrios
        <ricardobarrios@...> wrote:

        > But i think that i must find some specific library to handle comet
        > requests and use YUI for all the rest of related behaviors.

        There's all sorts of issues with Comet. Ranging from IE buffering the
        response until you close the connection, to firewalls closing the
        connection prematurely.

        If you search for 'comet' here: http://ajaxpatterns.org/ you will find
        a great reference (though it seems to be down right now). Wikipedia
        also has a reasonable reference:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_%28programming%29

        If you still decide to go ahead, please consider writing this (or
        porting someone's comet lib) to YUI, and I/we will shower you in
        eternal glory.

        I simply poll the server, and it's pretty effective. It scales very
        well. Also, you may like to look in to using Flash connections,
        depending on your requirements.