YUI and Server Push (or HTTP Push or Comet)

  • Ricardo Barrios
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
      Hi all,

      I'm planning a web app and i need to use Server Push (or Comet) to get
      data from server. I've googled a lot, and read the YUI docs and
      community examples, but i've been unable to find some reference to this
      technology.

      I know that DOJO toolkit is able to do it, but i'm very confortable with
      YUI and i would like not to use a new toolkit if i can do it with my
      prefer one :)

      Someone have tried it or know if it can be done?

      Thanks in advance.

      Some links:
      * http://alex.dojotoolkit.org/?p=545
      * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_(programming)
    • Nige White
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
        I use DWR as my means of exporting functionality across into the browser.

        I'm planning to use the "Reverse Ajax" capability in V2 to implement
        reminders and warnings from the server (such as "system shutdown"
        messages, Diary action messages, email arrival messages etc).

        I think it works by polling the server at a configurable rate. The
        server can respond with executable code. I've not investigated it yet,
        but take a look : http://getahead.ltd.uk/dwr and
        http://ajaxian.com/archives/hands-on-dwr

        Ricardo Barrios wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm planning a web app and i need to use Server Push (or Comet) to get
        > data from server. I've googled a lot, and read the YUI docs and
        > community examples, but i've been unable to find some reference to this
        > technology.
        >
        > I know that DOJO toolkit is able to do it, but i'm very confortable with
        > YUI and i would like not to use a new toolkit if i can do it with my
        > prefer one :)
        >
        > Someone have tried it or know if it can be done?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Some links:
        > * http://alex.dojotoolkit.org/?p=545 <http://alex.dojotoolkit.org/?p=545>
        > * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_
        > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_>(programming)

        > This message has been checked for all known viruses. Virus scanning
        > powered by Messagelabs http://www.messagelabs.com For more information
        > e-mail : hostmaster@...

        e-mail : hostmaster@...
      • Ricardo Barrios
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
          Hi Nige,

          It's a good aproach, but i'm planning to use python as server side
          language, and dwr use java as server side :P

          But i think that i must find some specific library to handle comet
          requests and use YUI for all the rest of related behaviors.

          El lun, 30-10-2006 a las 12:11 +0000, Nige White escribió:
          > I use DWR as my means of exporting functionality across into the
          > browser.
          >
          > I'm planning to use the "Reverse Ajax" capability in V2 to implement
          > reminders and warnings from the server (such as "system shutdown"
          > messages, Diary action messages, email arrival messages etc).
          >
          > I think it works by polling the server at a configurable rate. The
          > server can respond with executable code. I've not investigated it
          > yet,
          > but take a look : http://getahead.ltd.uk/dwr and
          > http://ajaxian.com/archives/hands-on-dwr
        • alex.pooley
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Ricardo Barrios
            <ricardobarrios@...> wrote:

            > But i think that i must find some specific library to handle comet
            > requests and use YUI for all the rest of related behaviors.

            There's all sorts of issues with Comet. Ranging from IE buffering the
            response until you close the connection, to firewalls closing the
            connection prematurely.

            If you search for 'comet' here: http://ajaxpatterns.org/ you will find
            a great reference (though it seems to be down right now). Wikipedia
            also has a reasonable reference:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_%28programming%29

            If you still decide to go ahead, please consider writing this (or
            porting someone's comet lib) to YUI, and I/we will shower you in
            eternal glory.

            I simply poll the server, and it's pretty effective. It scales very
            well. Also, you may like to look in to using Flash connections,
            depending on your requirements.