build tool?

  • Eric Herrera
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2006
      I'm curious. What do you guys use for the build process-homegrown or
      something else?

      Thanks
      Eric
    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2006
        Eric,

        Build processes vary between different groups at Yahoo; there isn't a
        single standard.

        One key ingredient we try to evangelize across the board is the use
        of JSMin or something similar, plus the hosting of any external JS
        files on a server that supports both caching (by using a far-future
        expires header) and gzip compression.

        The combination of minification and gzip tends to yield really good
        results. But, as I say, how those elements get rolled into a full
        process is a decision that's made within the various engineering
        teams, many of whom have their own specific factors to consider.

        Regards,
        -Eric