Drag and Drop Scrolling in DIVs

  • Justin Blemly
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 17, 2006
      I found that YUI D&D allows for page scrolling, if the user drags out
      of the page bounds. I'm wondering if this same scrolling
      functionality is at all possible within a bounded DIV. In other
      words, I have a DDList set up within a DIV with a set height. If the
      height of the DDList exceeds the height of the DIV, it's set to
      autoscroll. Problem is, I can't figure out (if it's even possible)
      how to have the drag initiate a DIV scroll.

      Anyone out there having a similar problem? I'd hate to convert that
      DIV to an IFrame just to get this scrolling to work, because that
      would require a lot of code rewrite on my site, but if I must, I must.

      Many thanks in advance.
    • Cecil Vermule
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 24, 2006
        If I'm understanding your problem correctly, all you should have to do is set the overflow property to auto and it should take care of this.

        On 3/17/06, Justin Blemly <juxton@...> wrote:
        I found that YUI D&D allows for page scrolling, if the user drags out
        of the page bounds.  I'm wondering if this same scrolling
        functionality is at all possible within a bounded DIV.  In other
        words, I have a DDList set up within a DIV with a set height.  If the
        height of the DDList exceeds the height of the DIV, it's set to
        autoscroll.  Problem is, I can't figure out (if it's even possible)
        how to have the drag initiate a DIV scroll.

        Anyone out there having a similar problem?  I'd hate to convert that
        DIV to an IFrame just to get this scrolling to work, because that
        would require a lot of code rewrite on my site, but if I must, I must.

        Many thanks in advance.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Nick Fox
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 15, 2007
          I have the same problem. I am trying to drag a list item from one div
          to a list item in another div. Both divs are set to overflow: auto;
          but neither of them are scrolling when I move the list item.

          thanks for your help,
          Nick

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Cecil Vermule"
          <cecil.vermule@...> wrote:

          > If I'm understanding your problem correctly, all you should have to
          do is
          > set the overflow property to auto and it should take care of this.
          >
          > On 3/17/06, Justin Blemly <juxton@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I found that YUI D&D allows for page scrolling, if the user drags out
          > > of the page bounds. I'm wondering if this same scrolling
          > > functionality is at all possible within a bounded DIV. In other
          > > words, I have a DDList set up within a DIV with a set height. If the
          > > height of the DDList exceeds the height of the DIV, it's set to
          > > autoscroll. Problem is, I can't figure out (if it's even possible)
          > > how to have the drag initiate a DIV scroll.
          > >
          > > Anyone out there having a similar problem? I'd hate to convert that
          > > DIV to an IFrame just to get this scrolling to work, because that
          > > would require a lot of code rewrite on my site, but if I must, I must.
          > >
          > > Many thanks in advance.
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mohammad
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 15, 2007
            I encountered the same problem.

            Take a look at ScrollManager.js from yui-ext.com.

            It does what you want - it will begin scrolling during a drag on a
            container with overflow. I didn't want to use his package in its
            entirity, so I rewrote ScrollManager.js to work with the original YUI
            code.

            Regards
            Mohammad

            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Fox"
            <nicolaspatrickfox@...> wrote:

            > I have the same problem. I am trying to drag a list item from one div
            > to a list item in another div. Both divs are set to overflow: auto;
            > but neither of them are scrolling when I move the list item.
            >
            > thanks for your help,
            > Nick
            >

            > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Cecil Vermule"
            > <cecil.vermule@> wrote:
            > >
            > > If I'm understanding your problem correctly, all you should have to
            > do is
            > > set the overflow property to auto and it should take care of this.
            > >
            > > On 3/17/06, Justin Blemly <juxton@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I found that YUI D&D allows for page scrolling, if the user
            drags out
            > > > of the page bounds. I'm wondering if this same scrolling
            > > > functionality is at all possible within a bounded DIV. In other
            > > > words, I have a DDList set up within a DIV with a set height.
            If the
            > > > height of the DDList exceeds the height of the DIV, it's set to
            > > > autoscroll. Problem is, I can't figure out (if it's even possible)
            > > > how to have the drag initiate a DIV scroll.
            > > >
            > > > Anyone out there having a similar problem? I'd hate to convert that
            > > > DIV to an IFrame just to get this scrolling to work, because that
            > > > would require a lot of code rewrite on my site, but if I must, I
            must.

            > > > Many thanks in advance.
            > > >

            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • carltondickson
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3 7:56 AM
              Hi Mohammad

              Can you explain which parts of the scrollManager.js script you kept
              please as like yourself I don't want to use the whole library to be
              honest. I couldn't find any working examples or an article containing
              a page of this in action.
              Do you have anything that you could demonstrate to help me start
              moving in the right direction please,