Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: Linking two data tables in master-detail manner?

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2009
      You can use all sorts of alternate events, context (popup) menues or add an extra column with no data associated and an icon to show detail.

      Instead of just blindly show the editor, if the column clicked is the one corresponding to the icon, you show the details, otherwise, you show the editor.  Note it doesn't matter what is it that you put in that column, icon, brackground image, text, just by the key of the column the click event listener would know.

      Or you can have click for detail, double click for edit. That is the way that a regular file explorer works: click to open and see the folder contents, double click to rename.

      Satyam

      El 30/12/2009 15:47, bradkieser escribió:
      Thanks Satyam!
      I didn't find those in my searching. Much appreciated.

      Only problem with making it activated on any click is that, of course, that will kill the ability to click and edit. I was thinking that the events could be chained but then you are ALWAYS going to be editing when you click to view details.

      So possibly using this with a column specifically to show is the best. It's a pity that we don't have a table cursor, a highlight, that shows the currently selected row and allows "usual" scrolling as per real PC apps using the arrow keys, etc. So a single click to select a row, double-click to edit, etc.

      http://www.satyam.com.ar/yui/2.6.0/TableWithDetails.html

      See towards the end of the page, listening to cellClickEvent on the main
      DataTable, it reads the master record contents and pops up the secondary
      table using data from that row to build the secondary table(s).

      For XHR you could actually use my requery method:

      http://www.satyam.com.ar/yui/2.8.0/requery.html

      (please, do read the warnings, it doesn't always work)

      Satyam

      El 30/12/2009 13:35, bradkieser escribió:

      Hi all,

      I am looking for an example linking one data table to another. I have
      two scrolling data tables and I use XHRDataSource for both.

      In the first one, the client maintains master records.

      In the second table the details for the current selected master row is
      displayed.

      So, for example, table *accounts* I have implemented CRUD (following
      Satyam's excellent ideas) and in table *messages* I want to display
      the message log whichever client account is presently selected.

      If the user selects another client in *accounts* then the *messages*
      table should refresh from the back end accordingly.
      If the user deletes a client in *accounts* then the back end will
      remove the records accordingly and the *accounts* table then selects
      the next record down and forces a corresponding reload of *messages*.
      If the user inserts a client then the *messages* table is obviously
      blank until the log gets entries in it.

      There is also a CRUD implementation on *messages*.

      Both DataTables work fine independently. But my problem is how to
      implement the master-detail link.

      Has anyone done this? I can't find any examples that show this in
      action. Hope I haven't missed something obvious!

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          ydn-javascript-digest@yahoogroups.com
          ydn-javascript-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • bradkieser
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2009
        I think that the double-click paradigm is probably the best because it's the most familiar with users already.