Re: Linking two data tables in master-detail manner?

  • bradkieser
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2009
      Thanks Satyam!
      I didn't find those in my searching. Much appreciated.

      Only problem with making it activated on any click is that, of course, that will kill the ability to click and edit. I was thinking that the events could be chained but then you are ALWAYS going to be editing when you click to view details.

      So possibly using this with a column specifically to show is the best. It's a pity that we don't have a table cursor, a highlight, that shows the currently selected row and allows "usual" scrolling as per real PC apps using the arrow keys, etc. So a single click to select a row, double-click to edit, etc.

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2009
        You can use all sorts of alternate events, context (popup) menues or add an extra column with no data associated and an icon to show detail.

        Instead of just blindly show the editor, if the column clicked is the one corresponding to the icon, you show the details, otherwise, you show the editor.  Note it doesn't matter what is it that you put in that column, icon, brackground image, text, just by the key of the column the click event listener would know.

        Or you can have click for detail, double click for edit. That is the way that a regular file explorer works: click to open and see the folder contents, double click to rename.

        Satyam

        El 30/12/2009 15:47, bradkieser escribió:
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            ydn-javascript-digest@yahoogroups.com
            ydn-javascript-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • bradkieser
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2009
          I think that the double-click paradigm is probably the best because it's the most familiar with users already.