RE: [ydn-javascript] Charting drawing time

  • Joylyn Gustilo
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 10, 2009
      No read

      From: bobstachel <bob.stachel@...>
      Sent: Thursday, 19 November 2009 10:39 AM
      To: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ydn-javascript] Charting drawing time

      Wondering about performance of charting in YUI 2.7:

      We have a line chart with 12 data series. It draws in about 3 seconds on Firefox, 4 seconds in IE8, and 15 seconds in IE7. Well, we are all used to IE7 being unbearably slow, but wait a second, the chart is a Flash component. Isn't it the same code running in all of the browsers? (I did make sure that each browser was up-to-date with the latest Flash player.)

      Well, the drawing time is proportional to the number of points in the chart. That is also what one would expect. However...

      I had a chart with 905 numeric data points (spread over the 12 data series). Inspection of the data showed that for many of these points, the y-value was the same value as the previous point (in other words, there were many segments of each series where the line was flat).

      So I removed these redundant points and added the series style attributes {connectDiscontinuo usPoints: true, discontinuousDashLe ngth: 1}, so that the chart would fill in the removed points instead of the points being supplied by the data series.

      Now, my chart had only 219 points instead of the original 905. But the drawing time was almost exactly the same. I would have expect it to take about 1/4 of the time

      I should add that I am using a JavaScript array as my data source

      Any guidance or information is much appreciated.