Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: looking for simple tutorials

  • Eric Miraglia
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26 6:19 PM
      Michael,

      Without responding to everything in your post, I did want to acknowledge that there are broad strokes here with which we agree.  In some cases we have put example code in external includes without showing and glossing it on the example page itself — external includes are a good practice for coding but not for examples.  We've been doing more examples where we show the code on the page and gloss its important features, but we need to do more of that throughout our example rosters.

      I want to return, though, to the point of my previous post: Between the main documentation pages, the examples, the detailed API docs and the Cheat Sheets, we've tried to provide a wide range of resources to help people get started using the library.  The message I would send to Felipe, and to anyone getting started with YUI, is that the existing documentation  — though not perfect — is a great place to begin the journey.

      Regards,
      Eric

      Eric Miraglia
      Yahoo! Presentation Platform Engineering

      On Sep 26, 2006, at 11:36 AM, Michael Newton wrote:

      For the casual user, those examples are anything but simple! Perhaps
      things are different for an experienced programmer with plenty of
      object-oriented experience, but when I started using this library, I
      wanted examples where:
      1) custom-built classes are out of the picture
      2) all the code is in a single block (in the head of the HTML document
      if possible)
      3) the code isn't full of debugging information for a logging component
      4) most non-obvious lines of code are commented

      Let's look at the drag and drop example for DDProxy. The HTML page
      contains 2 JS code blocks, as well as an external JS file (in addition
      to all the libraries,) and has a few inline JS calls for good measure.
      The heart of the example, YAHOO.example.DDApp, is an instance of a
      YAHOO.example.DDSwap which is an extension of YAHOO.util.DDProxy
      (itself of course an extension of YAHOO.util.DD) which can be very
      confusing!
      There are few comments, and the quality of the HTML doesn't help in
      trying to follow the behaviour of the objects (style elements do not
      go in the body, and nothing should be nested 6 levels deep!)

      Ok, rant over. Don't think I don't appreciate all the work that's
      been put into this amazingly helpful and powerful library. But the
      examples are certainly not simple, especially for the beginning or
      casual programmer!