request for a my.yahoo-type drag and drop example

  • Cahill, Earl
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2006

      I posted earlier to the yui blog, but thought I might get more traction here.

      I would like to see an example like my.yahoo!  Say, two columns, for which I would foresee using YAHOO.util.DDTarget.  Then draggable that a user could drag and drop from one column to the other.  When chunks drop in, they just merge in.  It would also be nice to have a marker appear where the drop would occur.  Or perhaps two different examples, one with an “I am going here” line, and a second example where chunks move as soon as they are over a valid drop target.

      For the proof of concept I was working on today, I started trying with YAHOO.util.DD, then moved to ygDDSwap, and ended up with ygDDList.js, which is better, though not perfect.  I am not really looking for help with my code, but for whatever reason, I can’t move a chunk at the very bottom of a column up, and when everything gets moved out of a column I can’t move anything back in.  My code was a simple one-rowed, three-columned table where each td contained a container div (DDTargets), and the container div contained several chunks.  I included a <div></div> at the very bottom, to try and ensure that the otherwise empty td wouldn’t collapse.

      Thanks,

      Earl

    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 15, 2006
        Earl,

        I saw you comment on the blog this morning, but definitely easier to respond here...

        Specifically regarding the drag-and-drop for rearrangement model like you see on My, it sounds like you're on the right track.  We created the My model by using divs for the columns (and making them DDTargets); we used JavaScript to make sure that they didn't collapse, setting the height of all three to the height of the tallest one.  Module divs within the columns were made as DDs.  And, of course, there's a lot of JavaScript for onDragOver to figure out what you're currently over, what to highlight, and so on, plus a lot of thinking about what to do when a module is dropped in a given place.

        Both this and your toolbelt example seem like nice ideas, and they're definitely realizable with the Drag and Drop Utility.  We'll keep those use cases in mind as we continue to build out the use cases on the public site; thanks for the input on that.

        Regards,
        Eric

        On Feb 15, 2006, at 12:43 AM, Cahill, Earl wrote:

[...]

        C programming languageComputer programming languagesJava programming language
        The c programming languageC programming languageConcept of programming language

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • David Gironella
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 15, 2006
          I want to make same, i adapte sort list example, and this is what i make http://nova.xapes.net
          No is perfect, and not is same that My. I know.

          Giro.