Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: DataTable Editor using the TAB key to move to the next cell

  • George Papaioannou
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 24, 2009
      Hi,

      Satyam, do you have any good idea of how to do this ?

      Regards,

      --- Στις Δευτ., 19/10/09, ο/η Matt <matt@...> έγραψε:

      Από: Matt <matt@...>
      Θέμα: [ydn-javascript] Re: DataTable Editor using the TAB key to move to the next cell
      Προς: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
      Ημερομηνία: Δευτέρα, 19 Οκτώβριος 2009, 14:06

      Thoughts, but haven't tried any of this, and I don't think there's anything built in:

      - add an event listener for the tab key to your editor
      - work out which cell you're in
      - show the editor for the next cell

      Obviously there'll be a bit of extra work to go down to the next line, or stop at the last cell of the last row.

      Editors have a 'keydownEvent' which you can subscribe to to listen for a tab, something like:

      editor.on( "keydown" , function(e){ if(e.keyCode == 13 ){ gotoNextCell( ); }} )

      However I'm not sure what the best way to add a listener to all editors is... maybe someone else has a good idea?

      If you call datatable.getCellEd itor() before it's hidden, you'll get the current one (or you can pass the editor in your listener to the function that does the cell moving), which then has a bunch of methods giving you access to the current record, td, and datatable itself etc - look at http://developer. yahoo.com/ yui/docs/ YAHOO.widget. BaseCellEditor. html which should be enough to work out where to go next.

      Sorry if this is telling you what you already know.

      Matt

      --- In ydn-javascript@ yahoogroups. com, "George" <sdancer75@. ..> wrote:

      > Any recommendation or thought ?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > --- In ydn-javascript@ yahoogroups. com, "George" <sdancer75@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > Is that possible to use keyboard shortcuts for moving among cells when using inline cell editing mode?
      > >
      > > Regards,

      Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
      Βαρεθήκατε τα ενοχλητικά μηνύματα (spam); Το Yahoo! Mail διαθέτει την καλύτερη δυνατή προστασία κατά των ενοχλητικών μηνυμάτων
      http://mail.yahoo.gr
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 24, 2009
        I guess I'll have to figure out something, there is too many people
        asking for this. See:

        http://www.satyam.com.ar/yui/2.7.0/keynav.html

        It is just a first attempt, I don't know why it does funny things, like
        the tab order seems to be a little funny and some editors won't pop up.
        As if the getNextTdEl and get previous are not correct. I'll have to
        find out about that.

        Satyam

        George Papaioannou escribió:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Satyam, do you have any good idea of how to do this ?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > --- ???? *????., 19/10/09, ?/? Matt /<matt@...>/* ??????:
        >

        > ???: Matt <matt@...>
        > ????: [ydn-javascript] Re: DataTable Editor using the TAB key to
        > move to the next cell
        > ????: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
        > ??????????: ???????, 19 ????????? 2009, 14:06
        >
        > Thoughts, but haven't tried any of this, and I don't think there's
        > anything built in:
        >
        > - add an event listener for the tab key to your editor
        > - work out which cell you're in
        > - show the editor for the next cell
        >
        > Obviously there'll be a bit of extra work to go down to the next
        > line, or stop at the last cell of the last row.
        >
        > Editors have a 'keydownEvent' which you can subscribe to to listen
        > for a tab, something like:
        >
        > editor.on( "keydown" , function(e){ if(e.keyCode == 13 ){
        > gotoNextCell( ); }} )
        >
        > However I'm not sure what the best way to add a listener to all
        > editors is... maybe someone else has a good idea?
        >
        > If you call datatable.getCellEd itor() before it's hidden, you'll
        > get the current one (or you can pass the editor in your listener
        > to the function that does the cell moving), which then has a bunch
        > of methods giving you access to the current record, td, and
        > datatable itself etc - look at http://developer. yahoo.com/
        > yui/docs/ YAHOO.widget. BaseCellEditor. html
        > <http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.widget.BaseCellEditor.html>
        > which should be enough to work out where to go next.
        >
        > Sorry if this is telling you what you already know.
        >
        > Matt
        >
        > --- In ydn-javascript@ yahoogroups. com
        > </mc/compose?to=ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com>, "George"
        > <sdancer75@. ..> wrote:
        > >
        > > Any recommendation or thought ?
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > --- In ydn-javascript@ yahoogroups. com
        > </mc/compose?to=ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com>, "George"
        > <sdancer75@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi,
        > > >
        > > > Is that possible to use keyboard shortcuts for moving among
        > cells when using inline cell editing mode?
        > > >
        > > > Regards,

        > ?????????????? Yahoo!;
        > ?????????? ?? ?????????? ???????? (spam); ?? Yahoo! Mail ???????? ???
        > ???????? ?????? ????????? ???? ??? ??????????? ?????????
        > http://mail.yahoo.gr

      • George Papaioannou
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 27, 2009
          Thank you Satyam, it worked without problems to me.

          The only situation I have is with my custom drop down menus insde the table (the one that the content are filled on the air with the doBeforeShowCellEditor event). It loses the focus ie does not is selected by default the drop down object itself, so the TAB moves on, to the next object of the layout and not to the next cell as it would be.

          I tryied to  use the oEditor.focus() inside doBeforeShowCellEditor without success like below

          oEditor.dropdownOptions = r.DataSet.items; //setting the items
          oEditor.setOptions();
          oEditor.focus(); //keep focus to the drop down object itself

          Do you have any idea ?

          Regards,
          George

          --- Στις Σάβ., 24/10/09, ο/η Satyam <satyam@...> έγραψε:

          Από: Satyam <satyam@...>
          Θέμα: Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: DataTable Editor using the TAB key to move to the next cell
          Προς: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
          Ημερομηνία: Σάββατο, 24 Οκτώβριος 2009, 18:52

          Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 28, 2009
            I forgot to call stopEvent when the key is one I want to deal with. This
            was causing some issues, like the cell editor for the radio buttons now
            showing up. I fixed the example. Perhaps it caused problems with your
            dropdown as well since the keydown event kept bubbling.

          • George Papaioannou
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 3, 2009
              Satyam the custom drop down menus still does not have the focus. Any recommendation ?

              Is there anyway to make (select) by default the string inside the inline cell editor when it opens ? In Firefox this is by default but in Chrome is the text is unselected.

              Regards,
              George

              --- Στις Τετ., 28/10/09, ο/η Satyam <satyam@...> έγραψε:

              Από: Satyam <satyam@...>
              Θέμα: Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: DataTable Editor using the TAB key to move to the next cell
              Προς: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
              Ημερομηνία: Τετάρτη, 28 Οκτώβριος 2009, 20:15

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 3, 2009
                George Papaioannou escribió:

                > Satyam the custom drop down menus still does not have the focus. Any
                > recommendation ?

                Not really, do you have a working sample I can take a look at?

                > Is there anyway to make (select) by default the string inside the
                > inline cell editor when it opens ? In Firefox this is by default but
                > in Chrome is the text is unselected.

                The code for method focus of TextboxCellEditor does it, or so it would seem:

                /**
                * Sets focus in TextboxCellEditor.
                *
                * @method focus
                */
                focus : function() {
                // Bug 2303181, Bug 2263600
                this.getDataTable()._focusEl(this.textbox);
                this.textbox.select();
                },

                If it doesn't work consistently across browsers, I'm sure the YUI team
                would like to know. Chrome is not supported but is based on the same
                WebKit that Safari is, which is supported, so they usually behave alike.

                Satyam

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 4, 2009
                  Satyam you can download a working example at

                  This sample implicate DataBase retriving data. You can target your attention at the DataEdit.doBeforeShowCellEditor function, since if you hard code the data of the custom drop down menu  like below,  instead of retriving them from the DB, then it works.

                  oEditor.dropdownOptions = YAHOO.lang.JSON.parse('[{"label": "Germany", "value": "97"}, {"label": "Italy", "value": "101"}]');
                  oEditor.setOptions();

                  But if you use asyncRequest and set the data inside the success function, then it loses the focus.

                  Regards,
                  George

                  --- Στις Τρίτ., 03/11/09, ο/η Satyam <satyam@...> έγραψε:

                  Από: Satyam <satyam@...>
                  Θέμα: Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: DataTable Editor using the TAB key to move to the next cell
                  Προς: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
                  Ημερομηνία: Τρίτη, 3 Νοέμβριος 2009, 20:01

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 4, 2009
                    Hi Satyam,

                    In Chrome the following code does not set the focus to the inline cell texteditor

                                       MoneyTable.subscribe("editorShowEvent", function(oArgs){
                                            var oEditor = oArgs.editor;

                                            oEditor.focus();

                                            //this.getDataTable()._focusEl( this.textbox) ;
                                            //this.textbox.select();

                                        });

                    Is that correct or am I doing something wrong ?

                    Regards,

                    --- Στις Τρίτ., 03/11/09, ο/η Satyam <satyam@...> έγραψε:

                    Από: Satyam <satyam@...>

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 4, 2009
                      I could try your code because it had some PHP includes that I don't
                      have. Anyway, I would say, don't bother. I tried textbox cell editors in
                      IE, Safari, Firefox, Opera and Chrome and both in Safari and Chrome,
                      which both use the same WebKit engine, the select method does not select
                      the content of the input box.

                      https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8114

                      https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22691

                      It works fine in all the other browsers, not a bad record. The YUI
                      library contains plenty of code to compensate for such quirks, you might
                      want to file a bug report for this, but I wouldn't expect YUI to
                      compensate for the browser deficiency, it not being a fatal one. In
                      fact, the bug reports above are quite old and nobody seems to care much
                      about them.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 4, 2009
                        I meant I could NOT try your code.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 4, 2009
                          Can you try adding the following code in your page:

                          YAHOO.widget.TextboxCellEditor.prototype.focus = function () {
                          this.getDataTable()._focusEl(this.textbox);
                          this.getTdEl().focus();
                          this.textbox.select();
                          };

                          YAHOO.widget.TextareaCellEditor.prototype.focus = function () {
                          this.getDataTable()._focusEl(this.textarea);
                          this.getTdEl().focus();
                          this.textarea.select();
                          };

                          Try it out and let me know, if it works, we can open the ticket with the fix

                          Satyam

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 4, 2009
                            Satyam,

                            I will try your code today afternoon.

                            The code I send to you, concerns the custom drop down menus and not the selected text in the text editor.

                            The php code is necessary to reproduce the problem since if the drop down gets hard coded data it works, but inside the success function of the AsyncRequest, I have problem.

                            If you have time try, by your own to get data from any DataBase and put some data in your drop down menu.

                            Regards,
                            George

                            --- Στις Τετ., 04/11/09, ο/η Satyam <satyam@...> έγραψε:

                            Από: Satyam <satyam@...>
                            Θέμα: Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: DataTable Editor using the TAB key to move to the next cell
                            Προς: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
                            Ημερομηνία: Τετάρτη, 4 Νοέμβριος 2009, 22:51

                            Can you try adding the following code in your page:

                            YAHOO.widget. TextboxCellEdito r.prototype. focus = function () {
                            this.getDataTable( )._focusEl( this.textbox) ;
                            this.getTdEl( ).focus() ;
                            this.textbox. select();
                            };

                            Satyam escribió:
> [...]