DataTable Editor using the TAB key to move to the next cell

  • George
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 16, 2009

      Is that possible to use keyboard shortcuts for moving among cells when using inline cell editing mode?

      Regards,
    • George
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 19, 2009
        Any recommendation or thought ?

        Regards,

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "George" <sdancer75@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Is that possible to use keyboard shortcuts for moving among cells when using inline cell editing mode?
        >
        > Regards,

      • Matt
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 19, 2009
          Thoughts, but haven't tried any of this, and I don't think there's anything built in:

          - add an event listener for the tab key to your editor
          - work out which cell you're in
          - show the editor for the next cell

          Obviously there'll be a bit of extra work to go down to the next line, or stop at the last cell of the last row.

          Editors have a 'keydownEvent' which you can subscribe to to listen for a tab, something like:

          editor.on( "keydown" , function(e){ if(e.keyCode == 13 ){ gotoNextCell(); }} )

          However I'm not sure what the best way to add a listener to all editors is... maybe someone else has a good idea?

          If you call datatable.getCellEditor() before it's hidden, you'll get the current one (or you can pass the editor in your listener to the function that does the cell moving), which then has a bunch of methods giving you access to the current record, td, and datatable itself etc - look at http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.widget.BaseCellEditor.html which should be enough to work out where to go next.

          Sorry if this is telling you what you already know.

          Matt

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "George" <sdancer75@...> wrote:

          > Any recommendation or thought ?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "George" <sdancer75@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > Is that possible to use keyboard shortcuts for moving among cells when using inline cell editing mode?
          > >
          > > Regards,

        • George Papaioannou
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 24, 2009

            Satyam, do you have any good idea of how to do this ?

            Regards,

            --- Στις Δευτ., 19/10/09, ο/η Matt <matt@...> έγραψε:

            Από: Matt <matt@...>
            Θέμα: [ydn-javascript] Re: DataTable Editor using the TAB key to move to the next cell
            Προς: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
            Ημερομηνία: Δευτέρα, 19 Οκτώβριος 2009, 14:06

            Thoughts, but haven't tried any of this, and I don't think there's anything built in:

            - add an event listener for the tab key to your editor
            - work out which cell you're in
            - show the editor for the next cell

            Obviously there'll be a bit of extra work to go down to the next line, or stop at the last cell of the last row.

            Editors have a 'keydownEvent' which you can subscribe to to listen for a tab, something like:

            editor.on( "keydown" , function(e){ if(e.keyCode == 13 ){ gotoNextCell( ); }} )

            However I'm not sure what the best way to add a listener to all editors is... maybe someone else has a good idea?

            If you call datatable.getCellEd itor() before it's hidden, you'll get the current one (or you can pass the editor in your listener to the function that does the cell moving), which then has a bunch of methods giving you access to the current record, td, and datatable itself etc - look at http://developer. yahoo.com/ yui/docs/ YAHOO.widget. BaseCellEditor. html which should be enough to work out where to go next.

            Sorry if this is telling you what you already know.

            Matt

            --- In ydn-javascript@ yahoogroups. com, "George" <sdancer75@. ..> wrote:

            > Any recommendation or thought ?
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > --- In ydn-javascript@ yahoogroups. com, "George" <sdancer75@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > Is that possible to use keyboard shortcuts for moving among cells when using inline cell editing mode?
            > >
            > > Regards,

            Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
            Βαρεθήκατε τα ενοχλητικά μηνύματα (spam); Το Yahoo! Mail διαθέτει την καλύτερη δυνατή προστασία κατά των ενοχλητικών μηνυμάτων
            http://mail.yahoo.gr
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 24, 2009
              I guess I'll have to figure out something, there is too many people
              asking for this. See:

              http://www.satyam.com.ar/yui/2.7.0/keynav.html

              It is just a first attempt, I don't know why it does funny things, like
              the tab order seems to be a little funny and some editors won't pop up.
              As if the getNextTdEl and get previous are not correct. I'll have to
              find out about that.

              Satyam

              George Papaioannou escribió:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Satyam, do you have any good idea of how to do this ?
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > --- ???? *????., 19/10/09, ?/? Matt /<matt@...>/* ??????:
              >

              > ???: Matt <matt@...>
              > ????: [ydn-javascript] Re: DataTable Editor using the TAB key to
              > move to the next cell
              > ????: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
              > ??????????: ???????, 19 ????????? 2009, 14:06
              >
              > Thoughts, but haven't tried any of this, and I don't think there's
              > anything built in:
              >
              > - add an event listener for the tab key to your editor
              > - work out which cell you're in
              > - show the editor for the next cell
              >
              > Obviously there'll be a bit of extra work to go down to the next
              > line, or stop at the last cell of the last row.
              >
              > Editors have a 'keydownEvent' which you can subscribe to to listen
              > for a tab, something like:
              >
              > editor.on( "keydown" , function(e){ if(e.keyCode == 13 ){
              > gotoNextCell( ); }} )
              >
              > However I'm not sure what the best way to add a listener to all
              > editors is... maybe someone else has a good idea?
              >
              > If you call datatable.getCellEd itor() before it's hidden, you'll
              > get the current one (or you can pass the editor in your listener
              > to the function that does the cell moving), which then has a bunch
              > of methods giving you access to the current record, td, and
              > datatable itself etc - look at http://developer. yahoo.com/
              > yui/docs/ YAHOO.widget. BaseCellEditor. html
              > <http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.widget.BaseCellEditor.html>
              > which should be enough to work out where to go next.
              >
              > Sorry if this is telling you what you already know.
              >
              > Matt
              >
              > --- In ydn-javascript@ yahoogroups. com
              > </mc/compose?to=ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com>, "George"
              > <sdancer75@. ..> wrote:
              > >
              > > Any recommendation or thought ?
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > >
              > > --- In ydn-javascript@ yahoogroups. com
              > </mc/compose?to=ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com>, "George"
              > <sdancer75@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi,
              > > >
              > > > Is that possible to use keyboard shortcuts for moving among
              > cells when using inline cell editing mode?
              > > >
              > > > Regards,

              > ?????????????? Yahoo!;
              > ?????????? ?? ?????????? ???????? (spam); ?? Yahoo! Mail ???????? ???
              > ???????? ?????? ????????? ???? ??? ??????????? ?????????
              > http://mail.yahoo.gr

            • George Papaioannou
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 27, 2009
                Thank you Satyam, it worked without problems to me.

                The only situation I have is with my custom drop down menus insde the table (the one that the content are filled on the air with the doBeforeShowCellEditor event). It loses the focus ie does not is selected by default the drop down object itself, so the TAB moves on, to the next object of the layout and not to the next cell as it would be.

                I tryied to  use the oEditor.focus() inside doBeforeShowCellEditor without success like below

                oEditor.dropdownOptions = r.DataSet.items; //setting the items
                oEditor.setOptions();
                oEditor.focus(); //keep focus to the drop down object itself

                Do you have any idea ?

                Regards,
                George

                --- Στις Σάβ., 24/10/09, ο/η Satyam <satyam@...> έγραψε:

                Από: Satyam <satyam@...>
                Θέμα: Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: DataTable Editor using the TAB key to move to the next cell
                Προς: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
                Ημερομηνία: Σάββατο, 24 Οκτώβριος 2009, 18:52

                Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 28, 2009
                  I forgot to call stopEvent when the key is one I want to deal with. This
                  was causing some issues, like the cell editor for the radio buttons now
                  showing up. I fixed the example. Perhaps it caused problems with your
                  dropdown as well since the keydown event kept bubbling.

                • George Papaioannou
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 3, 2009
                    Satyam the custom drop down menus still does not have the focus. Any recommendation ?

                    Is there anyway to make (select) by default the string inside the inline cell editor when it opens ? In Firefox this is by default but in Chrome is the text is unselected.

                    Regards,
                    George

                    --- Στις Τετ., 28/10/09, ο/η Satyam <satyam@...> έγραψε:

                    Από: Satyam <satyam@...>
                    Θέμα: Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: DataTable Editor using the TAB key to move to the next cell
                    Προς: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
                    Ημερομηνία: Τετάρτη, 28 Οκτώβριος 2009, 20:15

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 3, 2009
                      George Papaioannou escribió:

                      > Satyam the custom drop down menus still does not have the focus. Any
                      > recommendation ?

                      Not really, do you have a working sample I can take a look at?

                      > Is there anyway to make (select) by default the string inside the
                      > inline cell editor when it opens ? In Firefox this is by default but
                      > in Chrome is the text is unselected.

                      The code for method focus of TextboxCellEditor does it, or so it would seem:

                      /**
                      * Sets focus in TextboxCellEditor.
                      *
                      * @method focus
                      */
                      focus : function() {
                      // Bug 2303181, Bug 2263600
                      this.getDataTable()._focusEl(this.textbox);
                      this.textbox.select();
                      },

                      If it doesn't work consistently across browsers, I'm sure the YUI team
                      would like to know. Chrome is not supported but is based on the same
                      WebKit that Safari is, which is supported, so they usually behave alike.

                      Satyam

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 4, 2009
                        Satyam you can download a working example at

                        This sample implicate DataBase retriving data. You can target your attention at the DataEdit.doBeforeShowCellEditor function, since if you hard code the data of the custom drop down menu  like below,  instead of retriving them from the DB, then it works.

                        oEditor.dropdownOptions = YAHOO.lang.JSON.parse('[{"label": "Germany", "value": "97"}, {"label": "Italy", "value": "101"}]');
                        oEditor.setOptions();

                        But if you use asyncRequest and set the data inside the success function, then it loses the focus.

                        Regards,
                        George

                        --- Στις Τρίτ., 03/11/09, ο/η Satyam <satyam@...> έγραψε:

                        Από: Satyam <satyam@...>
                        Θέμα: Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: DataTable Editor using the TAB key to move to the next cell
                        Προς: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
                        Ημερομηνία: Τρίτη, 3 Νοέμβριος 2009, 20:01

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 4, 2009
                          Hi Satyam,

                          In Chrome the following code does not set the focus to the inline cell texteditor

                                             MoneyTable.subscribe("editorShowEvent", function(oArgs){
                                                  var oEditor = oArgs.editor;

                                                  oEditor.focus();

                                                  //this.getDataTable()._focusEl( this.textbox) ;
                                                  //this.textbox.select();

                                              });

                          Is that correct or am I doing something wrong ?

                          Regards,

                          --- Στις Τρίτ., 03/11/09, ο/η Satyam <satyam@...> έγραψε:

                          Από: Satyam <satyam@...>

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 4, 2009
                            I could try your code because it had some PHP includes that I don't
                            have. Anyway, I would say, don't bother. I tried textbox cell editors in
                            IE, Safari, Firefox, Opera and Chrome and both in Safari and Chrome,
                            which both use the same WebKit engine, the select method does not select
                            the content of the input box.

                            https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8114

                            https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22691

                            It works fine in all the other browsers, not a bad record. The YUI
                            library contains plenty of code to compensate for such quirks, you might
                            want to file a bug report for this, but I wouldn't expect YUI to
                            compensate for the browser deficiency, it not being a fatal one. In
                            fact, the bug reports above are quite old and nobody seems to care much
                            about them.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 4, 2009
                              I meant I could NOT try your code.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 4, 2009
                                Can you try adding the following code in your page:

                                YAHOO.widget.TextboxCellEditor.prototype.focus = function () {
                                this.getDataTable()._focusEl(this.textbox);
                                this.getTdEl().focus();
                                this.textbox.select();
                                };

                                YAHOO.widget.TextareaCellEditor.prototype.focus = function () {
                                this.getDataTable()._focusEl(this.textarea);
                                this.getTdEl().focus();
                                this.textarea.select();
                                };

                                Try it out and let me know, if it works, we can open the ticket with the fix

                                Satyam

                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 4, 2009
                                  Satyam,

                                  I will try your code today afternoon.

                                  The code I send to you, concerns the custom drop down menus and not the selected text in the text editor.

                                  The php code is necessary to reproduce the problem since if the drop down gets hard coded data it works, but inside the success function of the AsyncRequest, I have problem.

                                  If you have time try, by your own to get data from any DataBase and put some data in your drop down menu.

                                  Regards,
                                  George

                                  --- Στις Τετ., 04/11/09, ο/η Satyam <satyam@...> έγραψε:

                                  Από: Satyam <satyam@...>
                                  Θέμα: Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: DataTable Editor using the TAB key to move to the next cell
                                  Προς: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
                                  Ημερομηνία: Τετάρτη, 4 Νοέμβριος 2009, 22:51

                                  Can you try adding the following code in your page:

                                  YAHOO.widget. TextboxCellEdito r.prototype. focus = function () {
                                  this.getDataTable( )._focusEl( this.textbox) ;
                                  this.getTdEl( ).focus() ;
                                  this.textbox. select();
                                  };

                                  Satyam escribió:
> [...]