Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: DataTable pagination abandoned in 3.0?

  • Christian Tiberg
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2009
      Yes of course, I'm all for search & sort, just saying that it should be possible to scroll through a large data volume using DataTable.

      Best regards,
       Christian Tiberg

      2009/10/8 Luke <lucas.e.smith@...>

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Christian Tiberg <ctiberg@...> wrote:

      > Hello!
      >
      > I hope to hear that the DataTable in YUI 3 has abandoned pagination in favor
      > of something, say, a bit more natural. Present a user with a table of data
      > and a scrollbar. Will he try to drag the scrollbar to the approximate
      > position he needs, or will he try to guess a page number at random? It's
      > your guess, enough said.
      >
      > In an ideal world, I'd like to see something that client programs in all
      > modern OS's have had for years - virtual lists. You simply tell the
      > DataTable that there are 1,497,977,412 rows, and the first screenful is
      > displayed, along with a scrollbar. You might say that with such a huge
      > number of rows, a search is the most efficient way to find what one's
      > looking for - but that's also irrelevant, since even a search would probably
      > turn up thousands of records in such a humungous dataset.
      >
      > So, will we ever get to this higher form of DataTable, or will I have to
      > continue to dream?
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Christian Tiberg

      Pagination will not be abandoned in YUI 3. It is a well understood design pattern. A scrollable interface that limits fetched table records to those appropriate to display in a scrolled region has been on the todo list for YUI 2 DataTable as well and will undoubtedly be addressed in YUI 3 at some point--we have to get DataTable into YUI 3 first :)

      Of course, YUI is an open source library and we welcome feature contributions, so you don't have to wait for us to implement it!

      Luke