Re: A Genuine Newbie Post

  • brian_stegner
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 29, 2009
      I appreciate the advice. I started using html and then xhtml a while, and while my background is essentially SGML (and it's truncated, narrowed offspring xml, html, etc, ). I got deep into CSS well ahead of MS, and Yahoo!, also, now that I recall.

      Javascript is another kettle of fish. I used to write xhtml and css to do many of the same user interface things (chiefly navigational) that early javascript users were adopting.

      The only reason I'm incorporating javascript now is because I don't care about the 20% or so who can't or won't have it enabled.

      The first part of the YUI library that I understood, fully, was the reset_fonts_grids thing. Anyone, like me, who spent thousands of hours trying to write hacks for all the IEs of the world, not to mention the hours spent writing valid html/CSS versions of all the hokey javascript "cookbook-script-kid" stuff that is on a billion or so pages, can easily understand why I'm in awe of the time and work that went into just that part of the YUI.

      It might sound sacrilegious, but I'm not concerned with high-level YUI stuff to build yet-another Facebook data collection gimmick. I just want a level playing field, across A-grade browsers.

      And now that I have that foundational bit down cold (courtesy of the YUI core layout-related work and libraries) I'm going to try to get a grip on the YUI menu structures. I like the Navigational stuff that is generated by javascript rather than markup. So that's next for me.

      When I get some backlog cleared up over here I am going to be reading some javascript stuff, from the beginning.

      I've appreciated the help and encouragement very much.

      Regards.