DataTable how to: Inline cell change --> directly update MySQL

  • sdancer75
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2009
      Can someone explain me what is the difference between XHRDataSource & ScriptNodeDataSource ? Which of these is best for huge data sets from a database system ?

      Can you also give me an example how to update my database field, when someone clicks OK in an inline cell editor inside a datatable ?

      George
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2009
        The difference is not in performance but in the method to fetch the
        data. The XHR data source uses the HTTP request object which is limited
        to access sources in the same domain as the page itself, as a security
        feature built in to all browsers. The ScriptNode data source is used to
        load data from sources in other domains as <script> nodes. That data
        has to be packaged as an executable function so it is not transparent,
        the server needs to support it. Most web servers are now offering the
        option to do this packaging. For example, if you go to the YQL console:

        http://developer.yahoo.com/yql/console/

        you can request the same data as XML or as JSON and in this case, the
        data will be enclosed in a function as if it was the argument to that
        function. You would use a ScriptNodeDataSource to fetch data in this
        later format. The ScriptNodeDataSource will provide the definition of
        the function that will receive this data and parse it for you.

        Satyam