Re: IDE for YUI

  • Chris Curran
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2009
      I'm old school: No stinkin IDE. I use a programmers editor called The
      Semware Editor (TSE). It was called QEdit when I first started using it
      (1986). I hadn't done the math 'till now - 23 years on one editor.
      Wow...

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_SemWare_Editor

      cheers & beers,
      Chris
    • Paolo Nesti Poggi
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2009
        Speaking about IDE for YUI, but unrelated to the designer part:
        I find very useful the ability to browse the code, that is to have a panel showing the methods and properties, that I can use to jump through the code. It is the single thing about an IDE that saves me loads of time.
        Unfortunately all the IDEs I had tryed did not support the anonymous function style of coding typically used in YUI coding.  That is, you only see an icon telling "anonymous function", but you cannot browse into the methods and properties contained in it. Aptana and other Eclipse based editors did have this problem too when I and my associates tryed them (1 year ago).
        If you use this kind of coding:

        (function () {

            YAHOO.widget.SliderWindowAnimation =   function (module, attrOpen, attrClose) {

        //    /etc.

            }

        }());

        you can go around the issue by commenting out the first and the last line and you get a somewhat functional code anyway, the code browser will show everything.

        However going to YUI3 where the anonymous function is typically more nested, and it is a pain having to add and remove comments to test (because the code is not functional if you want to be able to browse your code).

        I asked at the Komodo forum (Komodo is another IDE I had tryed, it is faster than the Eclipse based ones, but has the same issue about the  browser code) and they actually fixed this today, so that now there is at least 1 IDE one can use to browse around a YUI code.
        I've been looking for this for a long time so it feels like a liberation to me.

        The patch is at:
        http://svn.openkomodo.com/openkomodo/revision/?rev=3837

        In Windows Vista is must be set in place of:
        C:/programs/ActiveState Komodo IDE 5/lib/mozilla/python/komodo/codeintel2/lang_javascript.py

        Cheers, Paolo

        mauriff@... skrev:

        Hi,
        In my project we had a designer interface but he don't know JavaScript.

        We need a IDE, What IDE we can use for designer interfaces with YUI?

      • Fai
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2009
          Satyam,

          I use Notepad++, also. But found it is difficult to debug a program.
          Do you have any hints for us?
          For example in my last topic I have a program which can
          run in IE but not FireFox, I need to use try and error method.
          I even try the firebug, however still feel difficult to to trace the bug.

          Fai,

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 3, 2009
            I use Firebug and I find it is great, it does all I need and if not I
            add some debugger and console.log statements. For IE I still have since
            the days I had a MS library subscription my old Visual Studio, which is
            7 years old but still installs and works fine, at least it does with
            IE7, haven't tried IE8. The newer 'Express' editions are free and can
            be made to do client-side debugging on IE, someone sent to this list the
            steps some months ago. Anyway, tracing bugs is hard, no matter how
            good the tools are. I have a good knowledge of DataTable, DataSource
            and TreeView and I find them easy to debug now that I know them, but it
            is hard for me to debug other code which I don't know where to find
            things. I guess that's the trick to it, becoming familiar with the code.

            Satyam