Re: [ydn-javascript] IDE for YUI

  • Alexandros Vellis
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2009
      On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 18:39:10 -0000
      "mauriff@..." <mauriff@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > In my project we had a designer interface but he don't know
      > JavaScript.

      Why do you need your designer to know Javascript?

      With a good knowledge of HTML+CSS, and with the "skinning" chapters of
      the YUI documentation in hand, a designer _should_ be good to go.

      Alexandros
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2009
        No IDE, I just use a plain editor, Notepad++, a good one, I believe, but
        not 'integrated' with anything. It is advanced enough for my taste,
        considering I started punching cards, I'm not much into these whiggish
        innovations. Babbage had it right, bits you could touch, ponderous bits
        he made, shiny brass, about half a pound per decimal digit, several
        pounds if you count the overhead. Hollerith was Ok, his bits were
        lightweight but you could still see them, you could open the waste bin
        of the card puncher and see where all the bits had gone, you could
        measure them either in kilobits or kilograms. And it made great
        confetti, a nasty one, that got in your hair and you still combed bits
        out a week after, now I don't have those bits nor hair to get it stuck in.

        Satyam

        Mark Ireland escribió:

        > Satyam, What do you use?

        > To: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
        > From: satyam@...
        > Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 22:13:45 +0200
        > Subject: Re: [ydn-javascript] IDE for YUI
        >

        > I don't use it but the one I saw recommended quite often is Aptana:
        >
        > http://aptana.com/ <http://aptana.com/>
        >
        > mauriff@... <mailto:mauriff@...> escribió:
        > > Hi,
        > > In my project we had a designer interface but he don't know JavaScript.
        > >
        > > We need a IDE, What IDE we can use for designer interfaces with YUI?

        > 07/01/09 05:53:00

      • Chris Curran
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2009
          I'm old school: No stinkin IDE. I use a programmers editor called The
          Semware Editor (TSE). It was called QEdit when I first started using it
          (1986). I hadn't done the math 'till now - 23 years on one editor.
          Wow...

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_SemWare_Editor

          cheers & beers,
          Chris
        • Paolo Nesti Poggi
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2009
            Speaking about IDE for YUI, but unrelated to the designer part:
            I find very useful the ability to browse the code, that is to have a panel showing the methods and properties, that I can use to jump through the code. It is the single thing about an IDE that saves me loads of time.
            Unfortunately all the IDEs I had tryed did not support the anonymous function style of coding typically used in YUI coding.  That is, you only see an icon telling "anonymous function", but you cannot browse into the methods and properties contained in it. Aptana and other Eclipse based editors did have this problem too when I and my associates tryed them (1 year ago).
            If you use this kind of coding:

            (function () {

                YAHOO.widget.SliderWindowAnimation =   function (module, attrOpen, attrClose) {

            //    /etc.

                }

            }());

            you can go around the issue by commenting out the first and the last line and you get a somewhat functional code anyway, the code browser will show everything.

            However going to YUI3 where the anonymous function is typically more nested, and it is a pain having to add and remove comments to test (because the code is not functional if you want to be able to browse your code).

            I asked at the Komodo forum (Komodo is another IDE I had tryed, it is faster than the Eclipse based ones, but has the same issue about the  browser code) and they actually fixed this today, so that now there is at least 1 IDE one can use to browse around a YUI code.
            I've been looking for this for a long time so it feels like a liberation to me.

            The patch is at:
            http://svn.openkomodo.com/openkomodo/revision/?rev=3837

            In Windows Vista is must be set in place of:
            C:/programs/ActiveState Komodo IDE 5/lib/mozilla/python/komodo/codeintel2/lang_javascript.py

            Cheers, Paolo

            mauriff@... skrev:

            Hi,
            In my project we had a designer interface but he don't know JavaScript.

            We need a IDE, What IDE we can use for designer interfaces with YUI?

          • Fai
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2009
              Satyam,

              I use Notepad++, also. But found it is difficult to debug a program.
              Do you have any hints for us?
              For example in my last topic I have a program which can
              run in IE but not FireFox, I need to use try and error method.
              I even try the firebug, however still feel difficult to to trace the bug.

              Fai,

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 3, 2009
                I use Firebug and I find it is great, it does all I need and if not I
                add some debugger and console.log statements. For IE I still have since
                the days I had a MS library subscription my old Visual Studio, which is
                7 years old but still installs and works fine, at least it does with
                IE7, haven't tried IE8. The newer 'Express' editions are free and can
                be made to do client-side debugging on IE, someone sent to this list the
                steps some months ago. Anyway, tracing bugs is hard, no matter how
                good the tools are. I have a good knowledge of DataTable, DataSource
                and TreeView and I find them easy to debug now that I know them, but it
                is hard for me to debug other code which I don't know where to find
                things. I guess that's the trick to it, becoming familiar with the code.

                Satyam