CGI/PERL from YUI

  • learningyui
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 30, 2009
      Hi Group,

      I have a Perl file which I need to call from my YUI/JavaScript code. I have seen many examples using PHP, but nothing on calling CGI/PERL, nothing on calling Perl FROM Javascript/AJAX.

      Looking for any suggestions.

      Thanks.
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 30, 2009
        It shouldn't make much of a difference, all resources in a web server
        have an URL to call them, the client is all it needs to know, whether it
        is a user typing the URL on the browser or a program setting it on his
        behalf. Whether it is a script in one language or the other, it is up
        to the server to deal with them, the client doesn't care. Each language
        has its own means to parse the URL arguments, usually a library or some
        built-in facility and whatever is sent to the standard output gets back
        to whatever/whomever called the program by its URL. The URL is the trick.

        Satyam

        learningyui escribió:
        > Hi Group,
        >
        > I have a Perl file which I need to call from my YUI/JavaScript code. I have seen many examples using PHP, but nothing on calling CGI/PERL, nothing on calling Perl FROM Javascript/AJAX.
        >
        > Looking for any suggestions.
        >
        > Thanks.

      • learningyui
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 30, 2009
          This is what I have currently. This call returns me the code from the Perl file, instead of the value 10 which should be returned? Any suggestions?

          Thanks.

          <head>
          <title>Test Calling PERL</title>

          <!-- Combo-handled YUI JS files: -->
          <script type="text/javascript" src="http://yui.yahooapis.com/combo?2.7.0/build/yahoo-dom-event/yahoo-dom-event.js&2.7.0/build/connection/connection-min.js"></script>

          function success_handler(o) {
          document.getElementById('content').innerHTML = o.responseText;
          }

          function failure_handler(o) {
          document.getElementById('content').innerHTML = 'Server or your connection is dead';
          }

          function send_request() {
          var callback = { success:success_handler, failure:failure_handler, timeout: 10000 };

          YAHOO.util.Connect.asyncRequest('GET', 'test.pl', callback);
          }

          function test_failure() {
          var callback = { success:success_handler, failure:failure_handler, timeout: 10000 };
          YAHOO.util.Connect.asyncRequest('GET', 'test.pl', callback);
          }

          </script>

          </head>
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 30, 2009
            Try the same URL from the browser window. If it returns the code of the
            perl file, it means that you are not passing through the web server or
            that you don't have the perl interpreter installed properly. Most
            likely it is the first option. If you are just double clicking on the
            .html file below, then the URL for that file will be of the form:

            file:///c/wwwroot/whatever/mytest.html

            The important part here is the file:. That means you are not going
            through the web server, it is the file system of your local machine the
            one serving you the file. The file system knows nothing but opening
            files. Just as it provided you with the html file, it will also give you
            the test.pl file, just the file, it won't do anything else. Now, if
            you execute the file via localhost:

            http://localhost/whatever/mytest.html

            then it is going through the web server, and then your test.pl file will
            also go through the web server, if properly configured, would know what
            to do with the perl file.

            Satyam

            learningyui escribió:
            > This is what I have currently. This call returns me the code from the Perl file, instead of the value 10 which should be returned? Any suggestions?
            >
            > Thanks.

            > <head>
            > <title>Test Calling PERL</title>
            >
            > <!-- Combo-handled YUI JS files: -->
            > <script type="text/javascript" src="http://yui.yahooapis.com/combo?2.7.0/build/yahoo-dom-event/yahoo-dom-event.js&2.7.0/build/connection/connection-min.js"></script>

            > function success_handler(o) {
            > document.getElementById('content').innerHTML = o.responseText;
            > }
            >
            > function failure_handler(o) {
            > document.getElementById('content').innerHTML = 'Server or your connection is dead';
            > }
            >
            > function send_request() {
            > var callback = { success:success_handler, failure:failure_handler, timeout: 10000 };
            >
            > YAHOO.util.Connect.asyncRequest('GET', 'test.pl', callback);
            > }
            >
            > function test_failure() {
            > var callback = { success:success_handler, failure:failure_handler, timeout: 10000 };
            > YAHOO.util.Connect.asyncRequest('GET', 'test.pl', callback);
            > }
            >
            > </script>
            >
            > </head>

          • John Doe
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 30, 2009
              http://localhost/AJAXTest.html is giving me the code from the Perl file.
              I know not to simply double click on the file, as that will not properly run it.
              Based on the URL above, I believe that I AM going through the web server.

              Any suggestions?

              Thanks!

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 30, 2009
                Then, it might be the second possibility I mentioned. Try this URL in
                your browser:

                http://localhost/test.pl

                If you get the source code, then you don't have perl properly installed
                as a script engine in your web server.

                Satyam

                John Doe escribió:

                > http://localhost/AJAXTest.html is giving me the code from the Perl file.
                > I know not to simply double click on the file, as that will not
                > properly run it.
                > Based on the URL above, I believe that I AM going through the web server.
                >
                > Any suggestions?
                >
                > Thanks!

              • Brian McCullough
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 30, 2009
                  On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 07:58:45AM -0700, John Doe wrote:
                  > http://localhost/AJAXTest.html is giving me the code from the Perl file.
                  > I know not to simply double click on the file, as that will not properly run it.
                  > Based on the URL above, I believe that I AM going through the web server.

                  True, but what does

                  http://localhost/test.pl

                  give you?

                  I think that that was what Satyam was getting at. If that gives you
                  "10", as you wish, then the Perl code appears to be operating correctly.
                  If it shows you the Perl source code, then the problem, I suspect, is in
                  the configuration of your web server.

                  Brian
                • John Doe
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 30, 2009
                    http://localhost/ test.pl directly into the browser is giving me an Internal Server Error. I CAN run this script directly from the command line, so I know that the Perl file should be OK...

                    Any other ideas?

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 30, 2009

                      John Doe escribió:

                      > http://localhost/ AJAXTest. html is giving me the code from the Perl file.
                      > I know not to simply double click on the file, as that will not
                      > properly run it.
                      > Based on the URL above, I believe that I AM going through the web server.
                      >
                      > Any suggestions?
                      >
                      > Thanks!

                    • J Zivan
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 30, 2009
                        Check your web server to see if the MIME type for a *.PL file is
                        restricted. This would give you an error.

                        On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:58 AM, John Doe<learningyui@...> wrote:

                        > http://localhost/ test.pl directly into the browser is giving me an Internal
                        > Server Error. I CAN run this script directly from the command line, so I
                        > know that the Perl file should be OK...
                        >
                        > Any other ideas?
                        > ________________________________

                      • Brian McCullough
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 30, 2009
                          On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 08:58:32AM -0700, John Doe wrote:
                          > http://localhost/ test.pl directly into the browser is giving me an Internal Server Error. I CAN

                          I presume that that space before "test.pl" isn't really there.

                          Which web server are you using?

                          Brian
                        • Brian McCullough
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 30, 2009
                            On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 08:57:48AM -0700, John Doe wrote:
                            > http://localhost/ test.pl directly into the browser is giving me an Internal Server Error. I CAN run this script directly from the command line, so I know that the Perl file should be OK...

                            I'm sorry. There should be no spaces between the "http" and the ".pl".

                            Brian
                          • John Doe
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 30, 2009
                              There are NO spaces:

                              http://linuxvm/cgi-bin/Eric/testperl.pl   (linuxvm is my localhost - set up correctly - I have been using the linuxvm instead of localhost for a while)

                              give me the following:

                              Internal Server Error

                              Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

                              Apache/2.0.52 (Fedora) Server at fedora3 Port 80

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 30, 2009
                                The error message below says it all. The problem has nothing to do with
                                YUI, sever misconfiguration or whatever but on the server side. Go to
                                the appropriate forum.

                                Satyam

                              • jarret.minkler@gmail.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 30, 2009
                                  If you hit the cgi from the browser what response do you get?