[ydn-javascript] YUI and IE 6 performance

  • vinay12
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
      We are using YUI 2.5.1 on IE6. Our application is supporting only IE6 but we
      are still running it on Firefox to debug and make best use of firebug.
      We had been experiencing varying response time on different users machine.
      Some users had response time of 12 secs on IE and 4 secs on Firefox while
      others had 5 sec on IE and 3 sec on firefox.
      We are still trying to figure out if it is network issues or viruses which
      is causing this varying response time but overall the response time has been
      much better on Firefox.

      Has this been the case with other users also or or we missed out some
      performance tips for IE 6 ?

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
        The difference in response times in between IE and Firefox are normal,
        IE is considerably slower than all of the rest of the browsers. The
        difference in times in between different machines, I cannot tell.

        Satyam

        vinay12 escribió:
        > We are using YUI 2.5.1 on IE6. Our application is supporting only IE6 but we
        > are still running it on Firefox to debug and make best use of firebug.
        > We had been experiencing varying response time on different users machine.
        > Some users had response time of 12 secs on IE and 4 secs on Firefox while
        > others had 5 sec on IE and 3 sec on firefox.
        > We are still trying to figure out if it is network issues or viruses which
        > is causing this varying response time but overall the response time has been
        > much better on Firefox.
        >
        > Has this been the case with other users also or or we missed out some
        > performance tips for IE 6 ?

      • vinay12
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
          But a difference of 4-8 seconds to load the same page does not look normal.
          I guess the way memory is allocated to DOM objects could be one of the
          causes of the problem but not very sure about it.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
            The ratio in between the performance of IE and others is normal and it
            is not due to the transmission of the data from server to client but the
            manipulation of the DOM and rendering. With the DataTable, that
            generates lots of DOM elements you see big increases in performance just
            doing client side paging, where the amount of data transmitted remains
            the same but less is rendered each time.

            So, what I meant to say is don't concentrate in the different
            performance in between IE and others because that is normal. IE is
            relatively slow and that's that, nothing you can do about it, except
            making lighter pages, which will affect all browsers in the same
            proportion though in absolute terms, IE is the one that will benefit the
            most.

            Why the difference in between the two machines, that I don't know.

            Satyam