Re: [ydn-javascript] Smaller JSON format?

  • Eric Miraglia
    Message 1 of 6 , May 29, 2009
      Geoffrey,

      I read that to mean that they've changed the way they're describing their data in JSON -- they're still using JSON to format the data, but they've changed the schema to be more efficient.

      -Eric

      On May 29, 2009, at 3:14 PM, Geoffrey Faivre-Malloy wrote:

      Sorry, I should have provided a link:

      http://www.bestechv ideos.com/ 2009/05/08/ evolution- of-the-google- data-protocol- new-features- for-building- more-efficient- applications

      On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Adam Moore <adamoore@yahoo- inc.com> wrote:
      On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 02:48:39PM -0400, Geoffrey Faivre-Malloy wrote:
      > I heard that Google is coming out with a smaller JSON format and was
      > wondering if there are any plans to support that in YUI.
      >
      > I haven't been able to find any specs on this newer format yet so if anyone
      > knows where I could that'd be appreciated :)

      I'm not sure what 'smaller JSON' means, but JSON is the standard and
      will be for the foreseeable future.

      -Adam

      G-Man
      http://www.lookwhat gmanfound. com

    • Lucas Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , May 29, 2009
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Geoffrey Faivre-Malloy <GMan67@...> wrote:

        > Sorry, I should have provided a link:
        >
        > http://www.bestechvideos.com/2009/05/08/evolution-of-the-google-data-protocol-new-features-for-building-more-efficient-applications

        It does sound like the change they're implementing is just a restructuring of the data into a smaller object structure, not a new data interchange syntax.

        A recent arrival in the JSON arena is JSON.hpack (http://wiki.github.com/WebReflection/json.hpack), which is a useful method to optimize compression of repetitive data structures, such as database query results. We'll be keeping an eye on the evolution of this proposal and potentially adding support/hooks for creating or parsing hpacked JSON.

        Luke
      • Geoffrey Faivre-Malloy