Re: [ydn-javascript] Smaller JSON format?

  • Geoffrey Faivre-Malloy
    Message 1 of 6 , May 29, 2009
      Sorry, I should have provided a link:

      http://www.bestechvideos.com/2009/05/08/evolution-of-the-google-data-protocol-new-features-for-building-more-efficient-applications

      On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Adam Moore <adamoore@...> wrote:
      On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 02:48:39PM -0400, Geoffrey Faivre-Malloy wrote:
      > I heard that Google is coming out with a smaller JSON format and was
      > wondering if there are any plans to support that in YUI.
      >
      > I haven't been able to find any specs on this newer format yet so if anyone
      > knows where I could that'd be appreciated :)

      I'm not sure what 'smaller JSON' means, but JSON is the standard and
      will be for the foreseeable future.

      -Adam

      G-Man
      http://www.lookwhatgmanfound.com
    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 6 , May 29, 2009
        Geoffrey,

        I read that to mean that they've changed the way they're describing their data in JSON -- they're still using JSON to format the data, but they've changed the schema to be more efficient.

        -Eric

        On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Adam Moore <adamoore@yahoo- inc.com> wrote:
        On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 02:48:39PM -0400, Geoffrey Faivre-Malloy wrote:
        > I heard that Google is coming out with a smaller JSON format and was
        > wondering if there are any plans to support that in YUI.
        >
        > I haven't been able to find any specs on this newer format yet so if anyone
        > knows where I could that'd be appreciated :)

        I'm not sure what 'smaller JSON' means, but JSON is the standard and
        will be for the foreseeable future.

        -Adam

        G-Man
        http://www.lookwhat gmanfound. com

      • Lucas Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , May 29, 2009
          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Geoffrey Faivre-Malloy <GMan67@...> wrote:

          > Sorry, I should have provided a link:
          >
          > http://www.bestechvideos.com/2009/05/08/evolution-of-the-google-data-protocol-new-features-for-building-more-efficient-applications

          It does sound like the change they're implementing is just a restructuring of the data into a smaller object structure, not a new data interchange syntax.

          A recent arrival in the JSON arena is JSON.hpack (http://wiki.github.com/WebReflection/json.hpack), which is a useful method to optimize compression of repetitive data structures, such as database query results. We'll be keeping an eye on the evolution of this proposal and potentially adding support/hooks for creating or parsing hpacked JSON.

          Luke
        • Geoffrey Faivre-Malloy