Aggregate function on a DataSource

  • Tom Praison
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2009
      I am using datasource to fetch remote data to display charts and in datatable. But i need to calculate the average and sum of a particular value in the records in the datasource. Is it possible to do this over the datasource?
    • satyam@satyam.com.ar
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2009
        The DataSource has two methods which are intended to be overridden, they
        are doBeforeCallBack and doBeforeParseData. The built-in versions simply
        return one of the arguments unaltered. I suggest you use the first one. I
        think that by default it returns the third argument. Whatever it returns,
        that is what the component it is providing data to will receive. You can
        alter that returned value in whichever way you want or extract information
        from it before returning it. Just make sure you do return something and in
        the same basic format. If you put a breakpoint on it and analyze the
        arguments you will soon find what you need.

        I'm sorry I cannot be more explicit because I have just sent my laptop to
        the repair shop and I am with an old machine so I can't find my stuff.

        Satyam

        On Mon, 04 May 2009 07:42:20 -0000, "Tom Praison" <tompraison@...>
        wrote:
        > I am using datasource to fetch remote data to display charts and in
        > datatable. But i need to calculate the average and sum of a particular
        > value in the records in the datasource. Is it possible to do this over
        the
        > datasource?

      • Tom Praison
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2009
          Thanks Satyam the reply was very useful indeed and solved many issues..

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, <satyam@...> wrote:

          > The DataSource has two methods which are intended to be overridden, they
          > are doBeforeCallBack and doBeforeParseData. The built-in versions simply
          > return one of the arguments unaltered. I suggest you use the first one. I
          > think that by default it returns the third argument. Whatever it returns,
          > that is what the component it is providing data to will receive. You can
          > alter that returned value in whichever way you want or extract information
          > from it before returning it. Just make sure you do return something and in
          > the same basic format. If you put a breakpoint on it and analyze the
          > arguments you will soon find what you need.
          >
          > I'm sorry I cannot be more explicit because I have just sent my laptop to
          > the repair shop and I am with an old machine so I can't find my stuff.
          >
          > Satyam
          >

          > On Mon, 04 May 2009 07:42:20 -0000, "Tom Praison" <tompraison@...>
          > wrote:
          > > I am using datasource to fetch remote data to display charts and in
          > > datatable. But i need to calculate the average and sum of a particular
          > > value in the records in the datasource. Is it possible to do this over
          > the
          > > datasource?

        • Andy Stevens
          Message 4 of 4 , May 13, 2009
            Hi Tom,

            Slow reply, so it's probably too late anyway, however...

            Another approach that I've used on occasion has two datasources. The
            first datasource is TYPE_HTMLTABLE (there was an existing table in the
            page that I needed to summarise). I call sendRequest myself, and in
            the success function I build up an array of javascript objects (one
            for each group) that store the group key, aggregated total, and a
            nested array of the datarows that contributed to it. The second
            datasource has TYPE_JSARRAY and is based on that array; I use that
            datasource as the source for my datatable (which replaces the original
            table in the page). And because each row in that set had a field
            containing the related original rows, I was able to use that to
            display a second datatable (or might have been a popup panel, can't
            exactly remember) with a detailed breakdown for the selected group as
            the row selection changed.

            Probably I could have reworked it to combine everything in
            doBeforeCallBack (even including the related breakdown row array), but
            this way seemed easier to understand for those who might have to
            maintain it later ;-)

            Andy