question about yui-skin-sam

  • kemcadams
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2009
      I need to style my menu according to my clients design. I am looking for a list of styles that i will redefine for the sam skin and have not been able to find that on the yui developer site,

      is that list available?

      Karen
    • D. Wayne Fincher
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2009
        http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/menu/#skinref

        That should help you out. And I normally use Firebug + Firefox to get the combined style names. For instance, you'll see the DIV with a class of bd (has a white bg in the image on that page) would carry a combined style name of

        .yui-skin-sam .yuimenu .bd

        and for the Menu Bar
        .yui-skin-sam .yuimenubar .bd

        So, the skinning ref there may not be as precise as you might need in order to get your styles to take. Just putting .bd might not be specific enough to override the threefold names above.

        Therefore, Firebug + Firefox is really the best way to get at the styles. (IMHO and I've done a *lot* of skinning with YUI)

        Hope that helps...

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "kemcadams" <kemcadams@...> wrote:

        > I need to style my menu according to my clients design. I am looking for a list of styles that i will redefine for the sam skin and have not been able to find that on the yui developer site,
        >
        > is that list available?
        >
        > Karen

      • rolfsf
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2009
          It's not the most intuitive, and not really that well documented. As another commenter mentioned, Firebug is a must-have for this process. I also find Safari's Web Inspector, and IE's Developer Toolbar useful (IE, of course, goes by it's own rules). Each of them will let you isolate each tag or container, will show you what css rules are affecting that piece, and which CSS file the rule is in, as well as their order of priority (top to bottom).

          Generally speaking, a I think a YUI menubar will involve styles from YUI Overlay, YUI Menu, YUI Menubar, and then any global styles (or resets) that you're using.