YUI 2UP Calendar

  • jdlawl
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 12, 2006
      Hey everyone. I'm new to programming and the YUI.

      I have rendered a 2up cal inside a div with an id=container1, but the 2
      cals are stacked. How can i make them side by side?

      thanks,
      JD
    • Thomas S. Sha
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 12, 2006
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jdlawl" <jharrold@...> wrote:

        > Hey everyone. I'm new to programming and the YUI.
        >
        > I have rendered a 2up cal inside a div with an id=container1, but the 2
        > cals are stacked. How can i make them side by side?
        >
        > thanks,
        > JD

        Does container1(or perhaps its parent container) have a defined width
        that prevents the side-by-side orientation?

        If not, please post the relevant code or a functional link.

        Regards,
        Thomas
      • Jason
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 12, 2006
          var $D = YAHOO.util.Dom;

          var cal1;

          function init() {

          cal1 = new YAHOO.widget.Calendar2up("cal1", "container1");
          cal1.render();

          }

          function showCalendar1() {

          var link1 = $D.get('dateLink1');
          var pos = YAHOO.util.Dom.getXY('dateLink1');

          YAHOO.util.Dom.setStyle('container1','display','block');
          YAHOO.util.Dom.setXY('container1', [pos[0],pos[1]
          +link1.offsetHeight+1]);

          }

          YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(window, "load", init);

          style="DISPLAY:none;POSITION:absolute"></div>
        • Thomas S. Sha
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 12, 2006
            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <jharrold@...> wrote:

            > var $D = YAHOO.util.Dom;
            >
            > var cal1;
            >
            > function init() {
            >
            > cal1 = new YAHOO.widget.Calendar2up("cal1", "container1");
            > cal1.render();
            >
            > }
            >
            > function showCalendar1() {
            >
            > var link1 = $D.get('dateLink1');
            > var pos = YAHOO.util.Dom.getXY('dateLink1');
            >
            > YAHOO.util.Dom.setStyle('container1','display','block');
            > YAHOO.util.Dom.setXY('container1', [pos[0],pos[1]
            > +link1.offsetHeight+1]);
            >
            > }
            >
            > YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(window, "load", init);

            > style="DISPLAY:none;POSITION:absolute"></div>

            The example you provide suggests a standalone <div>. I don't see
            anything that would prevent the calendar from rendering side-by-side,
            except if its x-coordinate + width of calendar would cause part of it
            to extend beyond the browser chrome. In such a condition, the
            calendar group would wrap. If you wish to force the group to render
            side-by-side, set a CSS width for container1 to a value that would
            accomodate the desired rendering.

            Regards,
            Thomas
          • JD
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 12, 2006
              My stylesheet had a th setting that was 'styling' my calendar.

              Be prepared for more noob-like questions.

              Thanks for the help Thomas.
            • JD
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 14, 2006
                So, I'm using an iframe element to cover select elements with this line:

                YAHOO.util.Dom.setStyle('cal1iframe','display','block');

                When I try to use this line to hide that iframe, it doesn't.

                YAHOO.util.Dom.setStyle('cal1iframe','display','none');

                Why?

                Thanks,
                JD
              • JD
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 14, 2006
                  I have the iframe hiding upon date selection. I need to hide it
                  onclick of the close button. I saw another topic on this, so I'm
                  going to check out that topic.

                  Thanks,
                  JD
                • JD
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 20, 2006
                    Can you please explain to me how to capture the event for closing the
                    calendar when clicking on the close button. I'm starting to confuse
                    myself

                    thanks.
                  • Steven Peterson
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 20, 2006

                      The function that gets called when you click the close button is “hide” on Calendar2up. If you need to perform additional tasks, you can use the Event utility like such:

                      YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(myCal2up.linkClose, “click”, doSomething);

                      Steven Peterson

                      Web Developer, Platform Engineering

                      Yahoo!

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                        Perfect, thank you,

                        JD
                      • Nige White
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                          It seems that when a Panel is specified as modal, the modality mask
                          (id:"null_mask") which disables other items on the page is inserted into
                          document.body.

                          This means that if you render a panel into a child element (such as the
                          "content" div below the header and menu divs), the panel is obscured by
                          the mask.

                          I have:

                          var dialog = new YAHOO.widget.Panel(fcl.util.createStandardModule(),
                          {
                          visible:true,
                          close:true,
                          modal:true,
                          draggable:true,
                          height:Math.min(570, (YAHOO.util.Dom.getViewportHeight() -
                          cxy[1])) + "px",
                          width:(c.offsetWidth - 2) + "px",
                          xy:cxy,
                          constraintoviewport:false,
                          underlay:"none"
                          });
                          dialog.setHeader("Country Selection");
                          dialog.render("content");

                          And even though the div class="panel-container" has a z-index of 6, it
                          is masked by the modality mask. The whole page is disabled.

                          In fact, I want the menus to still be enabled so that the user can
                          navigate away.

                          The modality of a panel should be *relative* to the container you render
                          it into. The modality mask should be inserted into the container the
                          panel is being inserted into!

                          Nige

                          e-mail : hostmaster@...
                        • Nige White
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                            Any idea why the modality mask greys out *EVERYTHING* on my page,
                            including the Panel?

                            The whole page is effectively disabled when I use modal:true.

                            Nige White wrote:

                            > It seems that when a Panel is specified as modal, the modality mask
                            > (id:"null_mask") which disables other items on the page is inserted into
                            > document.body.
                            >
                            > This means that if you render a panel into a child element (such as the
                            > "content" div below the header and menu divs), the panel is obscured by
                            > the mask.
                            >
                            > I have:
                            >
                            > var dialog = new YAHOO.widget.Panel(fcl.util.createStandardModule(),
                            > {
                            > visible:true,
                            > close:true,
                            > modal:true,
                            > draggable:true,
                            > height:Math.min(570, (YAHOO.util.Dom.getViewportHeight() -
                            > cxy[1])) + "px",
                            > width:(c.offsetWidth - 2) + "px",
                            > xy:cxy,
                            > constraintoviewport:false,
                            > underlay:"none"
                            > });
                            > dialog.setHeader("Country Selection");
                            > dialog.render("content");
                            >
                            > And even though the div class="panel-container" has a z-index of 6, it
                            > is masked by the modality mask. The whole page is disabled.
                            >
                            > In fact, I want the menus to still be enabled so that the user can
                            > navigate away.
                            >
                            > The modality of a panel should be *relative* to the container you render
                            > it into. The modality mask should be inserted into the container the
                            > panel is being inserted into!
                            >
                            > Nige

                            > This message has been checked for all known viruses. Virus scanning
                            > powered by Messagelabs http://www.messagelabs.com
                            > <http://www.messagelabs.com> For more information
                            > e-mail : hostmaster@...
                            > <mailto:hostmaster%40forward-comp.co.uk>

                            > This message has been checked for all known viruses. Virus scanning
                            > powered by Messagelabs http://www.messagelabs.com For more information
                            > e-mail : hostmaster@...

                            e-mail : hostmaster@...
                          • cmollerman
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 22, 2006
                              --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Nige White <nigelw@...> wrote:

                              > Any idea why the modality mask greys out *EVERYTHING* on my page,
                              > including the Panel?
                              >
                              > The whole page is effectively disabled when I use modal:true.

                              You know, that seems to make perfect sense since that is the behavior
                              you would get from a modal dialog in an application written for an OS
                              like Windows in a language such as C++, CSharp, VB.NET, etc. In all of
                              those, unless you specifically tell it otherwise, child dialogs (those
                              shown by the parent form which is your document window in this case)
                              that are set to modal will not allow you to interact with the parent
                              form(s) or application in any way until that dialog is closed.

                              I think you are under the assumption that the browser window is akin
                              to your desktop and showing a modal dialog in the window should still
                              allow you to click on stuff in the background (what would be like your
                              desktop)... However, that's quite simply not how this product was
                              designed if you look at the code. That functionality would have to be
                              written on your own.

                              It would be kind of neat to allow for something like that, though I
                              can't think of an interface and page where that would be what I wanted
                              to do without it being somewhat confusing to the end-user....

                              I have not tested this, but since I just posted about how to STOP
                              things from showing up through the modal dialog mask, you might try this:

                              If you have something you want the user to see and be able to use
                              through the modal dialog mask that greys out the whole page, try
                              setting the element to have it's "position:absolute" and z-index to
                              something higher than the "mask" class in the YUI stylesheet. On mine
                              (0.11.3) that will allow them to use something even when modal ==
                              true. Though, that is not what I wanted... :)

                              Hope that gives you some ideas...
                            • Joseph Woolley
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 22, 2006

                                Nige,

                                I had thought that someone already replied to your original message with a comment about setting the zIndex property of the panel and mask; however, I’ve deleted those messages.

                                Anyway, here is the solution I am using (based on previous posts regarding this issue):

                                [code]

                                var item_image_fullsize_dialog = new YAHOO.widget.Panel("item_image_fullsize", {

                                            modal:true,

                                            constraintoviewport:true,

                                            close:true,

                                            visible:false,

                                            draggable:true

                                } );

                                item_image_fullsize_dialog.showEvent.subscribe( function(type, args) {

                                item_image_fullsize_dialog.cfg.setProperty('zIndex', 999);

                                item_image_fullsize_dialog.mask.style.zIndex = 998;

                                } );

                                item_image_fullsize_dialog.render(document.body);

                                item_image_fullsize_dialog.show();

                                [/code]

                                Have fun!

                                // Joe

                                Nige White wrote:

                                > It seems that when a Panel is specified as modal, the modality mask
                                > (id:"null_mask" ) which disables other items on the page is
                                inserted into
                                > document.body.
                                >
                                > This means that if you render a panel into a child element (such as the
                                > "content" div below the header and menu divs), the panel is
                                obscured by
                                > the mask.
                                >
                                > I have:
                                >
                                > var dialog = new YAHOO.widget. Panel(fcl. util.createStand ardModule( ),
                                > {
                                > visible:true,
                                > close:true,
                                > modal:true,
                                > draggable:true,
                                > height:Math. min(570, (YAHOO.util. Dom.getViewportH eight() -
                                > cxy[1])) + "px",
                                > width:(c.offsetWidt h - 2) + "px",
                                > xy:cxy,
                                > constraintoviewport :false,
                                > underlay:"none"
                                > });
                                > dialog.setHeader( "Country Selection");
                                > dialog.render( "content" );
                                >
                                > And even though the div class="panel- container" has a
                                z-index of 6, it
                                > is masked by the modality mask. The whole page is disabled.
                                >
                                > In fact, I want the menus to still be enabled so that the user can
                                > navigate away.
                                >
                                > The modality of a panel should be *relative* to the container you render
                                > it into. The modality mask should be inserted into the container the
                                > panel is being inserted into!
                                >
                                > Nige

                                > This message has been checked for all known viruses. Virus scanning
                                > powered by Messagelabs http://www.messagel abs.com
                                > <http://www.messagel abs.com>
                                For more information

                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 25, 2006
                                  I must not have explained right.

                                  The *DIALOG* is greyed out and unreachable too!

                                  cmollerman wrote:

                                  > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
                                  > <mailto:ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com>, Nige White <nigelw@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Any idea why the modality mask greys out *EVERYTHING* on my page,
                                  > > including the Panel?
                                  > >
                                  > > The whole page is effectively disabled when I use modal:true.
                                  >
                                  > You know, that seems to make perfect sense since that is the behavior
                                  > you would get from a modal dialog in an application written for an OS
                                  > like Windows in a language such as C++, CSharp, VB.NET, etc. In all of
                                  > those, unless you specifically tell it otherwise, child dialogs (those
                                  > shown by the parent form which is your document window in this case)
                                  > that are set to modal will not allow you to interact with the parent
                                  > form(s) or application in any way until that dialog is closed.
                                  >
                                  > I think you are under the assumption that the browser window is akin
                                  > to your desktop and showing a modal dialog in the window should still
                                  > allow you to click on stuff in the background (what would be like your
                                  > desktop)... However, that's quite simply not how this product was
                                  > designed if you look at the code. That functionality would have to be
                                  > written on your own.
                                  >
                                  > It would be kind of neat to allow for something like that, though I
                                  > can't think of an interface and page where that would be what I wanted
                                  > to do without it being somewhat confusing to the end-user....
                                  >
                                  > I have not tested this, but since I just posted about how to STOP
                                  > things from showing up through the modal dialog mask, you might try this:
                                  >
                                  > If you have something you want the user to see and be able to use
                                  > through the modal dialog mask that greys out the whole page, try
                                  > setting the element to have it's "position:absolute" and z-index to
                                  > something higher than the "mask" class in the YUI stylesheet. On mine
                                  > (0.11.3) that will allow them to use something even when modal ==
                                  > true. Though, that is not what I wanted... :)
                                  >
                                  > Hope that gives you some ideas...

                                  > This message has been checked for all known viruses. Virus scanning
                                  > powered by Messagelabs http://www.messagelabs.com For more information
                                  > e-mail : hostmaster@...

                                  e-mail : hostmaster@...
                                • samir_tahaa2000
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 25, 2006
                                    --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jdlawl" <jharrold@...> wrote:

                                    > Hey everyone. I'm new to programming and the YUI.
                                    >
                                    > I have rendered a 2up cal inside a div with an id=container1, but
                                    the 2
                                    > cals are stacked. How can i make them side by side?
                                    >
                                    > thanks,
                                    > JD

                                  • JD
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 25, 2006
                                      So, I removed the width from "container1", but FF still stacks the 2UP.

                                      IE displays correctly.

                                      I'm rendering the 2UP into a table that is in a div.

                                      Thanks for any help,
                                      JD
                                    • Steven Peterson
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 25, 2006

                                        The mask is always rendered at the body level of the document. I suspect that you’ve rendered the Panel in a place where it cannot properly z-index itself above the mask. Try rendering the Panel to document.body and see if that resolves the issue for you.

                                        Nige White <nigelw@...> wrote:

                                        > > Any idea why the modality mask greys out *EVERYTHING* on my page,
                                        > > including the Panel?
                                        > >
                                        > > The whole page is effectively disabled when I use modal:true.
                                        >
                                        > You know, that seems to make perfect sense since that is the behavior
                                        > you would get from a modal dialog in an application written for an OS
                                        > like Windows in a language such as C++, CSharp, VB.NET, etc. In all of
                                        > those, unless you specifically tell it otherwise, child dialogs (those
                                        > shown by the parent form which is your document window in this case)
                                        > that are set to modal will not allow you to interact with the parent
                                        > form(s) or application in any way until that dialog is closed.
                                        >
                                        > I think you are under the assumption that the browser window is akin
                                        > to your desktop and showing a modal dialog in the window should still
                                        > allow you to click on stuff in the background (what would be like your
                                        > desktop)... However, that's quite simply not how this product was
                                        > designed if you look at the code. That functionality would have to be
                                        > written on your own.
                                        >
                                        > It would be kind of neat to allow for something like that, though I
                                        > can't think of an interface and page where that would be what I wanted
                                        > to do without it being somewhat confusing to the end-user....
                                        >
                                        > I have not tested this, but since I just posted about how to STOP
                                        > things from showing up through the modal dialog mask, you might try this:
                                        >
                                        > If you have something you want the user to see and be able to use
                                        > through the modal dialog mask that greys out the whole page, try
                                        > setting the element to have it's "position:absolute" and z-index
                                        > something higher than the "mask" class in the YUI stylesheet. On
                                        mine
                                        > (0.11.3) that will allow them to use something even when modal ==
                                        > true. Though, that is not what I wanted... :)
                                        >
                                        > Hope that gives you some ideas...

                                        > This message has been checked for all known viruses. Virus scanning
                                        > powered by Messagelabs http://www.messagelabs.com
                                        For more information
                                        > e-mail : hostmaster@...

                                        e-mail : hostmaster@...

                                      • Nige White
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 26, 2006
                                          Yes, it does fix *that* problem. So if you have to do that, why have an
                                          argument in the render() function? Why not just document that it renders
                                          into document.body?

                                          When I render into document.body and make it modal, the vertical scroll
                                          bar appears on the right edge of the browser window.

                                          Looking at the DOM inspector, this is because it's making the mask div
                                          much too deep. It's deciding that the document height is 1190 pixels.