Re: Hovering on sortable datatable column causes text resize

  • cjavajim
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Todd Wells <ttopwells@...> wrote:

      > I'm using YUI 2.6.0 with the sam skin and have sortable columns. When you
      > hover over the text on a sortable column, the text shrinks slightly, which
      > can create a flickering effect if you place the mouse right on the edge of
      > the text (very noticable with Firefox). I can't figure out what CSS to
      > change in order to stop the text resizing in this way.
      >
      > Basically because the font size is different for the hover-over, the browser
      > can't make up it's mind whether you're hovering or not. The font size gets
      > smaller when you hover, then as you're mousing out of the smaller font, the
      > font gets larger, so then you're no longer moused out, you're hovering, so
      > the font gets smaller. Because the font just got smaller, you're no longer
      > hovering, so the font gets larger and you're hovering again so the font
      > changes, *ad nauseum*.

      Have you tried using Firefox/Firebug or Microsoft's IE Developer Toolbar to inspect/edit the CSS and etc. yourself? (That's all I would do if I had a link to your code.)
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2009
        I still have YUI 2.6 downloaded in my computer. I tried the client sort
        column with Firefox, which is what I use by default, and couldn't
        reproduce the effect you mention. Can you point us somewhere when we
        see it happen? Does it still happen in later versions, if not, do a
        diff over the CSS files and look for differences in some style with a
        :hover selector.

        Satyam

        Todd Wells escribió:
        > I'm using YUI 2.6.0 with the sam skin and have sortable columns. When
        > you hover over the text on a sortable column, the text shrinks
        > slightly, which can create a flickering effect if you place the mouse
        > right on the edge of the text (very noticable with Firefox). I can't
        > figure out what CSS to change in order to stop the text resizing in
        > this way.
        >
        > Basically because the font size is different for the hover-over, the
        > browser can't make up it's mind whether you're hovering or not. The
        > font size gets smaller when you hover, then as you're mousing out of
        > the smaller font, the font gets larger, so then you're no longer
        > moused out, you're hovering, so the font gets smaller. Because the
        > font just got smaller, you're no longer hovering, so the font gets
        > larger and you're hovering again so the font changes, /ad nauseum/.

      • Todd Wells
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2009
          Unfortunately the code is in an app that isn't public yet, so I'll have to see if I can contrive an example. I'll email again if I come up with something. Thanks for your willingness to help.

          Todd Wells escribió:
          > I'm using YUI 2.6.0 with the sam skin and have sortable columns. When
          > you hover over the text on a sortable column, the text shrinks
          > slightly, which can create a flickering effect if you place the mouse
          > right on the edge of the text (very noticable with Firefox). I can't
          > figure out what CSS to change in order to stop the text resizing in
          > this way.
          >
          > Basically because the font size is different for the hover-over, the
          > browser can't make up it's mind whether you're hovering or not. The
          > font size gets smaller when you hover, then as you're mousing out of
          > the smaller font, the font gets larger, so then you're no longer
          > moused out, you're hovering, so the font gets smaller. Because the
          > font just got smaller, you're no longer hovering, so the font gets
          > larger and you're hovering again so the font changes, /ad nauseum/.

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)