Re: inline Editor DropDownList data from database

  • an0n73
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2009
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "an0n73" <an0n73@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I'm new to YUI and have set up a datatable with inline editing. One of the fields has a dropdownlist for this. What I need is for the values in the dropdownlist to come from a database. I already have the existing datatable populated from a database using JSP. I now need to populate the dropdownlist using another datasource.
      > I can't find any examples for this. Can anyone help whether JSP or PHP or anything.
      >
      > Thanks

      I meant to say, Can anyone tell me the javascript call within the dropdownOptions call that I need. Is it some sort of call to another datasource? ie, something like YAHOO.example.myDS.field["name"] or something?
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2009
        I was about to point you to this:

        http://satyam.com.ar/yui/making_your_own_datatable.html

        but it is sorely obsolete, most of it became useless with 2.6, either
        because it became part of DataTable or it works in some other way.

        So, how would I do it nowadays? I would use a formatter function and in
        that formatter function I would store the reference to the DOM element
        of the dropdown somewhere and start an async connection (see Connection
        Manager) to fetch the options. When the async connection returns, I
        would fill the DOM select element which I saved before. You could use
        the arguments property on the call asyncRequest to store the reference
        to the Select element so it is queued along the connection. Also, you
        could build a cache of options list so that further combos get to reuse
        the same query. Since JavaScript objects act like hashes, you could use
        the query for the dropdown as the key to the data and if you find it
        there then you don't need to go to the server.

        Satyam

        an0n73 escribió:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm new to YUI and have set up a datatable with inline editing. One of the fields has a dropdownlist for this. What I need is for the values in the dropdownlist to come from a database. I already have the existing datatable populated from a database using JSP. I now need to populate the dropdownlist using another datasource.
        > I can't find any examples for this. Can anyone help whether JSP or PHP or anything.
        >
        > Thanks

      • an0n73
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2009
          Thanks Satyam, I'll give it a try.

          As someone new to YUI, your articles have been very helpful!