JavaScript for the YUI

  • jrbramble
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2009
      I just can't seem to really learn JavaScript. I know how to create and run functions and I can write pseudo code. Functions are easy when using ID's. However, once it gets a little complicated my mind turns off. I can look at someone else's code and it seems so easy, but I can't write it myself. When it comes to reusing functions, passing values, setting complex variables, climbing up and down the dom tree, and looping, it just gets too complicated. The problem is, is that I need to know how to do these things better to better utilize the YUI. I'm just wandering how you learned it and if you have any references or suggestions.

      Thanks.
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2009
        Check Douglass Crockford videos on the YUI Theather. Not the advanced
        JavaScript ones, those are for people who design things like YUI to
        watch, not for us.

        Satyam

        jrbramble escribió:
        > I just can't seem to really learn JavaScript. I know how to create and run functions and I can write pseudo code. Functions are easy when using ID's. However, once it gets a little complicated my mind turns off. I can look at someone else's code and it seems so easy, but I can't write it myself. When it comes to reusing functions, passing values, setting complex variables, climbing up and down the dom tree, and looping, it just gets too complicated. The problem is, is that I need to know how to do these things better to better utilize the YUI. I'm just wandering how you learned it and if you have any references or suggestions.
        >
        > Thanks.

      • jrbramble
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2009
          I'll check that out. Thanks Satyam.

          > Check Douglass Crockford videos on the YUI Theather. Not the advanced
          > JavaScript ones, those are for people who design things like YUI to
          > watch, not for us.
          >
          > Satyam
          >

          > jrbramble escribió:
          > > I just can't seem to really learn JavaScript. I know how to create and run functions and I can write pseudo code. Functions are easy when using ID's. However, once it gets a little complicated my mind turns off. I can look at someone else's code and it seems so easy, but I can't write it myself. When it comes to reusing functions, passing values, setting complex variables, climbing up and down the dom tree, and looping, it just gets too complicated. The problem is, is that I need to know how to do these things better to better utilize the YUI. I'm just wandering how you learned it and if you have any references or suggestions.
          > >
          > > Thanks.

        • Marco Mariani
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
            jrbramble wrote:

            > I'll check that out. Thanks Satyam.

            Also...

            http://www.amazon.co.uk/JavaScript-Good-Parts-Douglas-Crockford/dp/0596517742/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238578214&sr=8-1

            should be mandatory reading.
            People might disagree on some points, but if they do after understanding
            how it works, mission accomplished :-)

            As a reference (for the good and the bad parts), I user the Definitive
            Guide from O'Reilly.
          • jrbramble
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
              I'll check that out as well. Thanks for the tip.