Re: Paginator and Progressive Markup

  • Lucas Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
      [snip]
      > Hi Luke,
      >
      > Thanks for getting back to me on this!
      >
      > The #1 option seems to work fine - nothing preventing me from using
      it and
      > it is much easier to implement than what I had worked out.
      >

      > One extra thing I did was add this to it to get rid of the Flash of
      > Unstyled Content as the page loads and the content is assembled.
      >
      > In the <style> block in the <head> I added this:
      >
      > .loader #demo { display: none; }
      > .loader2 #demo { display: inherit; }
      >

      > Then just before the </head> I added this:
      >
      > <script type="text/javascript">
      > document.getElementsByTagName('html')[0].className = 'loader';
      > </script>
      >

      > Finally in the OnDomReady where the Paginator is instantiated I
      added this:

      > // Unhide page now that the content is assembled
      > document.getElementsByTagName('html')[0].className = 'loader2';
      >

      > It works as expected, there is no flash as the content is assembled
      and of
      > course if Javascript is disabled it has no effect.
      >
      > But is there a better (YUI) way to do this?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Chuck

      You should be able to omit the .loader2 #demo and just clear the
      html.className since you're definitively setting the value rather than
      doing any cautious add/remove. I'm sure there are a number of ways to
      skin the cat, so whatever works for you is great. You might keep in
      mind that depending on where your js is located on the page,
      containing the html.className update (or most code in many cases)
      inside the onDOMReady callback isn't necessary. The DOM above the
      currently executing script is loaded and modifiable by that time.

      Luke
    • C.Everson
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
        On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 06:48:37 -0000, Lucas Smith wrote:

        > [snip]
        > You should be able to omit the .loader2 #demo and just clear the
        > html.className since you're definitively setting the value rather than
        > doing any cautious add/remove. I'm sure there are a number of ways to
        > skin the cat, so whatever works for you is great. You might keep in
        > mind that depending on where your js is located on the page,
        > containing the html.className update (or most code in many cases)
        > inside the onDOMReady callback isn't necessary. The DOM above the
        > currently executing script is loaded and modifiable by that time.

        Hi Luke,

        Thanks for the feedback.

        Since YUI removeClass uses an ID and I don't have one for the <html> tag,
        then will this do it?

        document.getElementsByTagName('html')[0].className = '';

        It seems to work, but I don't want to create any memory leaks or problems.

        Also thanks for the heads up about the DOM being ready above the callback.

        Chuck
      • Lucas Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "C.Everson" <cje@...> wrote:

          > On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 06:48:37 -0000, Lucas Smith wrote:
          >
          > > [snip]
          > > You should be able to omit the .loader2 #demo and just clear the
          > > html.className since you're definitively setting the value rather than
          > > doing any cautious add/remove. I'm sure there are a number of ways to
          > > skin the cat, so whatever works for you is great. You might keep in
          > > mind that depending on where your js is located on the page,
          > > containing the html.className update (or most code in many cases)
          > > inside the onDOMReady callback isn't necessary. The DOM above the
          > > currently executing script is loaded and modifiable by that time.
          >
          > Hi Luke,
          >
          > Thanks for the feedback.
          >
          > Since YUI removeClass uses an ID and I don't have one for the <html>
          tag,
          > then will this do it?
          >
          > document.getElementsByTagName('html')[0].className = '';
          >
          > It seems to work, but I don't want to create any memory leaks or
          problems.

          That's exactly right. That won't cause any leaks.

          > Also thanks for the heads up about the DOM being ready above the
          callback.

          > Chuck

          Glad to help,
          Luke
        • C.Everson
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
            On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 21:29:39 -0000, Lucas Smith wrote:
            >> then will this do it?
            >> document.getElementsByTagName('html')[0].className = '';
            >> It seems to work, but I don't want to create any memory leaks or problems.
            >
            > That's exactly right. That won't cause any leaks.

            Thanks for the confirmation!

            > Glad to help,

            You folks are the best!

            Chuck