Re: What is the preferred javascript debugger for Internet Explorer?

  • cjavajim
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2009
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "evanmeeks@..." <evanmeeks@...>
      wrote:

      > I have done a lot of searching and am unable to find anything that
      > works very well. Apparently MS has one that comes with MS Office
      > Front Page 2003 but I don't have it.
      >
      > Dav and Saytam what do you two use for debugging?
      > TIA fellas.

      Try Microsoft's Internet Explorer Developer Toolbar:

      http://tinyurl.com/6pmvb9

      Note: "The Developer Toolbar is not compatible with Internet Explorer
      8. Please use the developer tools included with Internet Explorer 8."
    • ohadaston
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
        Visual Studio or Microsoft Script Editor

        If you want to debug javascript add to your code the following line:

        debugger;

        This line will behave like breakpoint.

        When IE gets to that line, it will ask you if you want to debug the
        script and you'll have list of debuggers. Visual Studio is the best
        option (if you has it installed).
        (The message is: An unhandled exception ('Script Breakpoint') occured
        in iexplorer.exe)

        BTW this line works also for FireBug.

        Visual studio debugger is GREAT debugger. I don't know if you can
        debug with the Express version, but if you don't have the full
        version you can try with the express:
        http://www.microsoft.com/Express/