Re: Firefox+Linux, bad display rendering

  • swamyveera
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi there,
      Thanks for the replies, may be you guys are right, it might not be a
      right combination "Ubuntu and firefox" - but looks like i don't have
      a choice right now - i need to get it running, because most of my
      site i have developed is quite compatible with firefox.

      Yes i did try disabling the transparency, helped a little, but not
      too much - i observed that the delay is in creating the hidden <div>
      which are in other words, dialog boxes.

      and no i am not running pango, i checked it and found it. I dont'
      think its pango that's causing the problem!

      Any other suggestions ?

      Thanks a bunch
    • swamyveera
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
        Hi there guys,
        i managed to install drivers for my graphics card on ubuntu, it
        definitely helped a little, the rendering is much faster along with
        the transparency off ! But still its not match for the speed in
        windows? ANy body can help me out here please?
      • Scott Schiller
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 8, 2006
          Hi Swamyveera,

          I think you are being limited by your hardware/driver/OS combination here; it's likely you've done all you can to make your work run as fast as it can in that area. Unfortunately, cross-platform browsers seem to really vary in terms of performance across different operating systems. (It suggests some builds may be optimized to take advantage of hardware acceleration or OS features, etc.)

          Performance can very quickly drop depending on what sort of things your page is doing. You have to be a detective of sorts and be investigative in troubleshooting performance problems.

          You could also try changing your code around a bit, perhaps trying some different layout techniques, using less elements, etc. This is too broad a topic to go into detail on, but my logic would say if your page is always slow-feeling (ie., CSS hover takes a while to render), your layout is likely just too complex - too much nesting, opacity, floated elements perhaps. If it's only during dynamic, DHTML stuff such as Javascript animation, your browser is again just doing overtime trying to render things while Javascript is doing loops. It's likely the browser is doing work reflowing and redrawing elements (complex layout or opacity again), and perhaps additionally isn't using hardware graphics acceleration depending on the browser/OS.

          My experience has been that IE on Windows always renders faster than Firefox on the same machine when doing Javascript animation, somewhat regrettably. IE appears to take advantage of DirectX or some other form of acceleration when rendering and animating, whereas Firefox does not.

          I've written about some of my own findings in the javascript animation/rendering performance area over the years, on my site.

          Performance is always a troublesome area, but it's also an opportunity to learn interesting things about the inner workings of browsers. ;)

          Best of luck!

          Scott Schiller
          Front-end Engineer, Yahoo! Photos

          i  managed to install drivers for my graphics card on ubuntu, it
          definitely helped a little, the rendering is much faster along with
          the transparency off ! But still its not match for the speed in
          windows? ANy body can help me out here please?

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:ydn-javascript-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:ydn-javascript-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • swamyveera
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 21, 2006
            Hi Scott Schiller,
            Thank you for your reply - I went through the link that you gave me,
            i perfectly understand the issues involved, as i said, i tried to
            remove the opacities by making my modal windows as non-modal, that did
            help me a little, but not much of use.
            I was basically using yui's dialog boxes, and these are costing
            firefox on linux a big deal. I even installed my graphic card drivers,
            it is definitely the graphic support that firefox is getting from
            Linux.
            But my problem now is, i don't have much of a choice, i have designed
            and developed my application already, and i can't really change a lot
            other than forcing my customers to use windows instaed of linux, which
            i dont feel quite comfortable. Am still looking for a solution to this
            problem. But if you do happen to know of anything, not right away, but
            in the next few days, please be kind enough to let me know.

            Thanks and Regards
            Veeru
          • Peter Pistorius
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 21, 2006

              > Thank you for your reply - I went through the link that you gave me,
              > i perfectly understand the issues involved, as i said, i tried to
              > remove the opacities by making my modal windows as non-modal, that did
              > help me a little, but not much of use.
              This isn't necessarily a bad-deal ... I develop in FreeBSD and I have
              the same problems. But I see it as a feature rather than a constraint:

              I'm developing for the lowest denominator... And adjust my application
              to perform in that spectrum. The main areas where I see a performance
              loss are in opacity and drag-drop.

              I use DDProxy instead and skip the opacity. I also use container_core
              and write my own functionality as the other modal stuff is really huge.

              Regards,
              Peter Pistorius
            • swamyveera
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 21, 2006
                Hi Peter,

                Thanks for your reply - Would it possible for me to have a piece of
                your code,so i can try implementing it the way you did? I did turn off
                the opacities and stuff as i said, but did'nt try to write my own
                functionality, may be am just an entry level programmer - I appreciate
                it if you can provide a bit of your code.

                Thanks
              • Peter Pistorius
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 22, 2006
                  > Thanks for your reply - Would it possible for me to have a piece of
                  > your code,so i can try implementing it the way you did?

                  I tried to find you an example of the code I used to implement DDProxy
                  (It's in YUI examples), but I cannot connect to this website! Sorry,
                  I'll try again later.

                  I can share the container_core.js code as it's much simpler. Note:
                  You're not able to drag the container around, if this is a requirement
                  then it shouldn't be difficult to add.

                  This is how you create the dialog:

                  this.dialog = new YAHOO.widget.Overlay('dialog', { width: "500px", fixedcenter:true, constraintoviewport:true });

                  this.dialog.setHeader('My Dialog');

                  this.dialog.setBody('This is my body text or dom nodes?.');

                  this.dialog.render(document.getElementById('d_bg'));

                  this.dialog.show();

                  You can define it's style like this:

                  #dialog { position: absolute; display: block; cursor: default; background: #FFF; border: 1px #ccc solid; padding: 1px; }

                  .hd { line-height: 30px; border-bottom: 1px #eee solid; font-weight: bold; background: #efefef;} /* header style */
                  .bd { } /* body style */