removeListener index parameter

  • Peter Michaux
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006

      What is the intended use of the fourth parameter called "index" in
      remove listener?

      boolean removeListener (<Object> el, <String> sType, <Function> fn, index)

      It looks like I could use it something like this

      YAHOO.util.Event.removeListener(null, null null, 7)

      if I knew the index of the listener I wanted to remove. This index
      parameter is not documented. Is this parameter likely to be used? Is
      there some special case or trick for which this is useful?

      Thanks,
      Peter
    • Adam Moore
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006
        On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 04:16:47PM -0700, Peter Michaux wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > What is the intended use of the fourth parameter called "index" in
        > remove listener?
        >
        > boolean removeListener (<Object> el, <String> sType, <Function> fn, index)
        >
        > It looks like I could use it something like this
        >
        > YAHOO.util.Event.removeListener(null, null null, 7)
        >
        > if I knew the index of the listener I wanted to remove. This index
        > parameter is not documented. Is this parameter likely to be used? Is
        > there some special case or trick for which this is useful?

        This parameter is used internally, and as of the latest version cannot be
        used in the manner you are suggesting because the index for a given listener
        is not static.

        -Adam
      • Peter Michaux
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2006
          On 8/31/06, Adam Moore <adamoore@...> wrote:

          > On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 04:16:47PM -0700, Peter Michaux wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > What is the intended use of the fourth parameter called "index" in
          > > remove listener?
          > >
          > > boolean removeListener (<Object> el, <String> sType, <Function> fn, index)
          > >
          > > It looks like I could use it something like this
          > >
          > > YAHOO.util.Event.removeListener(null, null null, 7)
          > >
          > > if I knew the index of the listener I wanted to remove. This index
          > > parameter is not documented. Is this parameter likely to be used? Is
          > > there some special case or trick for which this is useful?
          >

          > This parameter is used internally, and as of the latest version cannot be
          > used in the manner you are suggesting because the index for a given listener
          > is not static.

          Hi Adam,

          Thanks for the reply about this.

          So is this fourth index parameter no longer needed at all? From what
          you say, it seems like it is redundant.

          Peter