Event._unload: function(e, me). Why the me parameter?

  • Peter Michaux
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31 4:26 PM

      In YAHOO.util.Event._unload(e, me) what does the "me" parameter do?
      Could it be removed?

      Peter
    • Adam Moore
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 31 4:36 PM
        On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 04:26:58PM -0700, Peter Michaux wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > In YAHOO.util.Event._unload(e, me) what does the "me" parameter do?
        > Could it be removed?

        That is a reference to the Event class, passed by the Event Utility when it
        is executed (during the window.unload event). This function was changed to
        use the scope adjustment feature of Event, so "me" isn't actually used any
        longer.

        -Adam
      • Joseph Woolley
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 31 7:09 PM

          Thanks to those that have posted previously, I’ve learned a good bit about javascript and YAHOO.util.(Color)Anim and have put together the following script:

          (embedded in php, using xajax to be precise)

                function highlightChangedElement($element) {

                      global $objResponse;

                      $script = "var original_color = YAHOO.util.Dom.getStyle(\"{$element}\", \"backgroundColor\"); ";

                      $script .= "var orange_fade = new YAHOO.util.ColorAnim(\"{$element}\", { backgroundColor: { to: \"#ffcc44\" }}, .4, YAHOO.util.Easing.bounceOut); ";

                      $script .= "orange_fade.onComplete.subscribe( function(type, args) { ";

                      $script .= "      var orange_fade_out = new YAHOO.util.ColorAnim(\"{$element}\", { backgroundColor: { to: original_color }}, 2, YAHOO.util.Easing.bounceOut); ";

                      $script .= "      orange_fade_out.onComplete.subscribe( function(type, args) { ";

                      $script .= "            try { ";

                      $script .= "                  YAHOO.util.Dom.setStyle(\"{$element}\", \"backgroundColor\", null); ";

                      $script .= "            } catch(e) { ";

                      $script .= "                  alert(e.message); ";

                      $script .= "            } ";

                      $script .= "      } ); ";

                      $script .= "      orange_fade_out.animate(); ";

                      $script .= "} ); ";

                      $script .= "orange_fade.animate(); ";

                      $objResponse->script($script);

                }

          This works very well in FF, but fails in IE.  I’ve tried setting the backgroundColor property to “transparent” and “inherit”; I’ve tried assigning it directly using el.style.backgroundColor = { insert values here }; etc.  I have yet to find a method that will work in IE.

          Basically, I need the inline style to return to “transparent” so the previously configured CSS backgroundColor will shine through.

          Any ideas?

          Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

          // Joe

        • Jack Slocum
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 31 7:29 PM
            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Woolley" <joe@...> wrote:

            > Thanks to those that have posted previously, I've learned a good bit
            about
            > javascript and YAHOO.util.(Color)Anim and have put together the
            following
            > script:
            >

            > (embedded in php, using xajax to be precise)
            >

            > function highlightChangedElement($element) {
            >
            > global $objResponse;
            >

            > $script = "var original_color =
            > YAHOO.util.Dom.getStyle(\"{$element}\", \"backgroundColor\"); ";
            >
            > $script .= "var orange_fade = new
            > YAHOO.util.ColorAnim(\"{$element}\", { backgroundColor: { to:
            \"#ffcc44\"
            > }}, .4, YAHOO.util.Easing.bounceOut); ";
            >
            > $script .= "orange_fade.onComplete.subscribe(
            function(type,
            > args) { ";
            >
            > $script .= " var orange_fade_out = new
            > YAHOO.util.ColorAnim(\"{$element}\", { backgroundColor: { to:
            original_color
            > }}, 2, YAHOO.util.Easing.bounceOut); ";
            >
            > $script .= " orange_fade_out.onComplete.subscribe(
            > function(type, args) { ";
            >
            > $script .= " try { ";
            >
            > $script .= "
            > YAHOO.util.Dom.setStyle(\"{$element}\", \"backgroundColor\", null); ";
            >
            > $script .= " } catch(e) { ";
            >
            > $script .= " alert(e.message); ";
            >
            > $script .= " } ";
            >
            > $script .= " } ); ";
            >
            > $script .= " orange_fade_out.animate(); ";
            >
            > $script .= "} ); ";
            >
            > $script .= "orange_fade.animate(); ";
            >
            > $objResponse->script($script);
            >
            > }
            >

            > This works very well in FF, but fails in IE. I've tried setting the
            > backgroundColor property to "transparent" and "inherit"; I've tried
            > assigning it directly using el.style.backgroundColor = { insert values
            here
            > }; etc. I have yet to find a method that will work in IE.
            >

            > Basically, I need the inline style to return to "transparent" so the
            > previously configured CSS backgroundColor will shine through.
            >

            > Any ideas?
            >

            > Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
            >

            > // Joe

          • Jack Slocum
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 31 7:58 PM
              My last post had no body it seems? I guess the rich-text editor
              doesn't work in firefox 2 beta. Any you can try this:

              YAHOO.util.Dom.setSyle('background-color', '');

              Using dashes is IE friendly and the Dom class "camelizes" them for
              firefox.

              --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Slocum" <jvs308@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Woolley" <joe@>
              wrote:

              > > Thanks to those that have posted previously, I've learned a good
              bit
              > about
              > > javascript and YAHOO.util.(Color)Anim and have put together the
              > following
              > > script:
              > >

              > > (embedded in php, using xajax to be precise)
              > >

              > > function highlightChangedElement($element) {
              > >
              > > global $objResponse;
              > >

              > > $script = "var original_color =
              > > YAHOO.util.Dom.getStyle(\"{$element}\", \"backgroundColor\"); ";
              > >
              > > $script .= "var orange_fade = new
              > > YAHOO.util.ColorAnim(\"{$element}\", { backgroundColor: { to:
              > \"#ffcc44\"
              > > }}, .4, YAHOO.util.Easing.bounceOut); ";
              > >
              > > $script .= "orange_fade.onComplete.subscribe(
              > function(type,
              > > args) { ";
              > >
              > > $script .= " var orange_fade_out = new
              > > YAHOO.util.ColorAnim(\"{$element}\", { backgroundColor: { to:
              > original_color
              > > }}, 2, YAHOO.util.Easing.bounceOut); ";
              > >
              > > $script .= " orange_fade_out.onComplete.subscribe
              (
              > > function(type, args) { ";
              > >
              > > $script .= " try { ";
              > >
              > > $script .= "
              > > YAHOO.util.Dom.setStyle(\"{$element}\", \"backgroundColor\",
              null); ";

              > > $script .= " } catch(e) { ";
              > >
              > > $script .= " alert(e.message); ";
              > >
              > > $script .= " } ";
              > >
              > > $script .= " } ); ";
              > >
              > > $script .= " orange_fade_out.animate(); ";
              > >
              > > $script .= "} ); ";
              > >
              > > $script .= "orange_fade.animate(); ";
              > >
              > > $objResponse->script($script);
              > >
              > > }
              > >

              > > This works very well in FF, but fails in IE. I've tried setting
              the
              > > backgroundColor property to "transparent" and "inherit"; I've
              tried
              > > assigning it directly using el.style.backgroundColor = { insert
              values
              > here
              > > }; etc. I have yet to find a method that will work in IE.
              > >

              > > Basically, I need the inline style to return to "transparent" so
              the
              > > previously configured CSS backgroundColor will shine through.
              > >

              > > Any ideas?
              > >

              > > Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
              > >

              > > // Joe

            • Joseph Woolley
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 31 9:33 PM

                Jack,

                Thank you for your reply and the tip!  Works great!

                Now, I’m wondering if there is a YAHOO-ish way to obtain THE background color, taking into account the parent nodes; meaning, if the style ‘background-color’ is transparent, walk up the parentNode(s) until a non-transparent color specification is found.

                I have a javascript function for this in my tools.js, but I’ve only tested it with FF and IE.

                // Joe

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
                  Hi Joe,

                  There is no YUI pre-canned solution for this currently, but I've thought about supplementing Dom.getStyle for backgroundColor to account for this.  If you think this would be a useful enhancement, please add a feature request: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=165715&atid=836479.

                  Your approach of crawling the parentNodes and using Dom.getStyle() to find a value other than 'transparent' will work to get the inherited color, except for Safari, which returns "rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)" for transparent, so you'll have to test for that as well.  In the case where no backgroundColor is found, you may want to provide a default color.

                  Matt

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006

                    Matt,

                    Thank you for the Safari tip!  I’ll add that to the function I currently use.  Regarding the default color, I did catch that issue and return white (#ffffff) when I reach the BODY tag (and still get transparent); I’m still left wondering if this will produce weird results on some browser(s), perhaps because of a user preference / override of the default..  I’ll be sure to clean up the code a bit and submit my current solution in the feature request.

                    Regarding a supplement to getStyle:  I’d like to think that getStyle(…, “background-color”) would always return the true style setting, whether transparent or other; however, I’d love to see a pseudo style like “visible-background-color” that would return the actual color seen by the human… although, additionally I can see a use for “visible-background-color-overlapped”, which would return true or false, indicating whether a background-image is present that would overlap some or all of the background-color.

                    While these pseudo styles *may* be beyond the scope of the YAHOO.util.Dom.getStyle function, they certainly would come in handy from time to time.  I hope they will at least be considered.  :D

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
                      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Michaux"